Ms Office: Excel Question

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I currently run MS OFFICE 2003. An employee of mine recently quit and password protected many of his old documents that he did for us. I never was able to retrieve the password before he quit.

Is there a way to unlock these documents? I keep trying to edit all the excel sheets hes done and it says I need a password.

I even tried to copy paste them into a new document and that won't work either.

I am really left in a dilema here.
How can I get around this?

If anyone can help I would be in your debt.

Thank You,
Mathew

Sexo um Pato

qvack qvack qvack
most of the time I am able to save a copy of the passworded document...click on the save item and it should say "this document is read only" etc... and you can save an unpassworded copy

the only security options i've really ever used in excel were "password to open" and "password to modify"

in both cases i can copy and paste data to other spreadsheets...so it sounds like your colleage has done something a bit fancier with his security options.

Have you considered trying to call your colleage?

homesick1337

Computer Lover
most of the time I am able to save a copy of the passworded document...click on the save item and it should say "this document is read only" etc... and you can save an unpassworded copy

the only security options i've really ever used in excel were "password to open" and "password to modify"

in both cases i can copy and paste data to other spreadsheets...so it sounds like your colleage has done something a bit fancier with his security options.

Have you considered trying to call your colleage?
Yea the password error I get in excel tells me

"The cell or chart you are trying to modify is protected and there for read only. To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the unprotected sheet command. Tools, menu, protection menu. You may be prompt for a password".

I tried to copy and paste , it let me save as also but the copy still gives me that message.

I would try to call but the person, left without any contact info. This work was also given to me recently without my knowing of how long they have had this and finally decided they needed to use some old excel information for newer company price list.

Thanks,
Mathew

P.S If possible I could email you a copy or sample and maybe you could get a better idea, and see if I am mistaken or not seeing something.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonTalley