MS Free Software

A

anewhope

My uni tutor was telling me today about a service MS are offering to students and peeps in education to get Win XP Pro and .Net studio for free. Does anyone else know anything?

Apparently you have to ring up and they mail you the stickers with the codes on, but i'd presume you download the files.

Originally posted by anewhope
My uni tutor was telling me today about a service MS are offering to students and peeps in education to get Win XP Pro and .Net studio for free. Does anyone else know anything?

Apparently you have to ring up and they mail you the stickers with the codes on, but i'd presume you download the files.

On my school you can buy licences for M$ software for about 20 to 50 euros (~$25 to ~$60). Then you can copy the 'mastercd' and take it home.

My copy of Windows XP and Office XP are free though. I work at a computershop (well, we only sell them, we do not build, but that is not the case) and I received a personal (!) invitation from M$ asking me to attend a course at an evening and at the end of such a (dull) evening you can pickup your free copy of Windows/Office :D. Full versions!
Perhaps M$ also give courses to students (to tell them what kind of 'wonderful' software they make) and as a present you get a free copy. Maybe.

This all sound like dreamware to me. MS has never given away anything to my knowledge. Students/Teachers in the UK can purchase vouchers to by MS products at around 20% of the retail cost. Even if you are a MS partner and beta tester you don’t get anything for free once it’s up and running. Only pirates get things for free but there is a risk!
;)

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
This all sound like dreamware to me. MS has never given away anything to my knowledge. Students/Teachers in the UK can purchase vouchers to by MS products at around 20% of the retail cost. Even if you are a MS partner and beta tester you don’t get anything for free once it’s up and running. Only pirates get things for free but there is a risk!
;)

Most of that is true as far as the software goes. But M$ does throw around it money pretty freely so in some cases schools get stuff for free as in money from M$

Originally posted by Dave Holbon
;)

I couldn't believe it also when I got the inventation, but is is quite true. If you think about it, M$ won't loose too much money when doing these kind of actions. They only think you actually buy is the book with licence key and a box. The reason that M$ gives the software away to resellers is that we can tell what kind of wonderful :)rolleyes: ) software M$ makes and then M$ makes more money, because people will then buy the software. A bit strange though, since you almost have no choice when buying a computer...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back