ms dos in xp

D

dayle

hey i just found out this neat thing i dos...

it goes like this

suppose you want to go to "program files" dir from the root
you would type cd progra~1

instead of that you can just type cd and then keep pressing the "tab key" or even type p and the tab key to get a list of folders starting from p..cool huh :cool:

may be this was there in older versions of dos..i just found it out.so for those of you didnt know about this can play around with it

on my computer it's set to CTRL + D (directories) and,
CTRL + F (files)

It can be set through TweakUI (PowertoysXP)

Yup, TweakUI will change the key its set to, known about this for ages, can't remember if it was in previous versions or not tho.
Got no where to try it, everyone i know's on XP now :D

okay so it is so beacuse of tweak xp;-)i thought ms had embedded it into dos

It may work without TweakUI, i never install XP without it tho so i wouldnt know ;)
The DOS in WinXP isn't real DOS anyway, considering xp's backed by the NT kernal, and not dos based.

It's not real dos, it's not fake dos, it's not DOS. XP is built on on an NT kernel, not a DOS layer. What you have is a command prompt that recognizes many dos commands. Very similar in appearance to the average user, but we might as well be correct given the nature of this site.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back