ms access password problem..

GoNz0

NTFS Stoner
right i have a friend with a small problem, he was doing his coursework for school, some form of database, and it came to the password part, instead of passwording the file in question he managed to password access on his user account (admin rights), ok so he screwed his password even tho' he confirmed it. so far the workaround is to log in using other family members accounts and he can open any document without the password prompt.

my question is, how can i reset it to not require a password when he uses his account, would a uninstall/reinstall reset the password status, like i say the guy is admin on his own pc, so he can reinstall no probs. will it work though ?

or can anybody shed any light on this for me please, we don't want to have to recreate his user account as it has loads of info there.. :(

This may help

To complete this procedure, you must be logged on as a member of the Admins group.

Start Microsoft Access by using the workgroup information file in which the user account is stored.
You can find out which workgroup information file is current or change workgroups by using the Workgroup Administrator.

Open a database.
On the Tools menu, point to Security, and then click User and Group Accounts.
On the Users tab, enter the user account name in the Name box.
Click Clear Password.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 to clear any additional passwords, and then click OK when you have finished.

I have a simpler idea - just start in Safe Mode and you should be able to get into the default Administrator accoutn and then reset his password or remove it. I take it his account was not the default Admin account? If it was then a lesson learnt maybe?

bush dogg said:
This may help

To complete this procedure, you must be logged on as a member of the Admins group.

Start Microsoft Access by using the workgroup information file in which the user account is stored.
You can find out which workgroup information file is current or change workgroups by using the Workgroup Administrator.

Open a database.
On the Tools menu, point to Security, and then click User and Group Accounts.
On the Users tab, enter the user account name in the Name box.
Click Clear Password.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 to clear any additional passwords, and then click OK when you have finished.

thanks i e-mailed that too him, will let you know.

Mainframeguy said:
I have a simpler idea - just start in Safe Mode and you should be able to get into the default Administrator accoutn and then reset his password or remove it. I take it his account was not the default Admin account? If it was then a lesson learnt maybe?

no Administrator is the default account for XP :rolleyes: thanks anyway MFG, i will see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back