MPAA piracy adverts

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I saw the first MPAA anti-piracy commercial for the first time tonight at my local theater. If you haven't heard about the ads, there is a story on Wired here. An excerpt from the article discusses what I saw tonight: "The first trailer features David Goldstein, a set painter who says that piracy hurts him more than film industry executives. Each ad ends with the tag line, 'Movies. They're worth it.' The campaign will also include a website that outlines the moral implications of illegal downloading as well as the legal and practical consequences."

Not that I especially want to see such an ad before the film starts, but I have to hand it to the MPAA for doing a pretty decent job with it. The message was much more subtle than that of the RIAA's "you steal and we sue you." It's funny that the RIAA recruited millionaire pop stars to head their anti-piracy campaign, while the MPAA is using behind-the-scenes people that don't make the big bucks. Here's a question: Would you feel bad for stealing money from Britney Spear's paycheck, or from the paycheck of Mike the Boom Operator? Maybe the RIAA needs to take notes.

Anyone else seen this ad in the theater?

wat's mpaa stanfd for? something about movies i guess. movie production association of america. i guess me don't s have to weorry baout them. oh yeah, and i got the 6 top replies to the pub with this. or the lounge whatever you coll it. yeah man, teh roxor. wefhsd... jumpy, down and out....

Originally posted by jumpy
wat's mpaa stanfd for? something about movies i guess. movie production association of america. i guess me don't s have to weorry baout them. oh yeah, and i got the 6 top replies to the pub with this. or the lounge whatever you coll it. yeah man, teh roxor. wefhsd... jumpy, down and out....
:confused: Huh?

I think it is a little different with the MPAA. When you get a digital copy of a movie, the video quality is poor, and so is the audio, and then there can be subtitles too -- the camcorder effect. RIAA's "product" is only audio -- and there is software that can copy a CD to mp3, nothing AFAIK that can copy a film reel to .asf. And even with copying DVDs, I think the incredible size of the copy would inhibit massive pirating, no?

I think the MPAA might also parallel the RIAA in the lack of quality product. How many sequels can they possibly jam down their throats? Just because there may be a decrease in box office sales doesn't necessarily mean more people are copying, it could just be a crappier product that people don't bother to go see.

Sorry about that guys, had a little bit too much to drink last night, heh heh. :eek:

Originally posted by Infinite0
I think the MPAA might also parallel the RIAA in the lack of quality product. How many sequels can they possibly jam down their throats? Just because there may be a decrease in box office sales doesn't necessarily mean more people are copying, it could just be a crappier product that people don't bother to go see.

This is definitely a valid point, and still, the economy could have something to do with it too.

Concerning digital copies of movies and the quality of the copies, there is quite a variation. The copies you can find that were actually taped in the theater (usually called "cam") are awful and worthless in my opinion, so I'm with you on that point Infinite0. However, many times "screeners" can be found, which are digital copies of an advanced VHS or DVD release. These releases are sent to the ratings people, or to Academy members during awards season for Oscar consideration. These copies are usually excellent, with a beautiful picture and great sound. I've seen several different films available in this format (usually 700-900MB), while they were still in the theaters.

Nevertheless, I don't see much reason to pirate movies. I would much rather watch a movie on my TV than on my computer, so I will just rent or buy the DVD once its released. There are those groups that will format pirated movies into VCDs and then sell them before they are released, but it still isn't DVD quality. For the most part, I see the RIAA being much more affected by piracy than the movie industry, since you can get just about the same quality music for free. But there's another thread here about the RIAA. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back