MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Political Access
From that wonderful satirical site BBSpot:

The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.

MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.

The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.

The really scary part is this is known as the blu-ray dvd player. The technology is already built into the player, they just have to turn it on.

not a joke.

I'm getting so sick and tired of hearing about things like this. Who the hell do these companies think they are? I'm ****ing tired of being bullied by these large organizations that use scare tactics and their big lawyers to try to screw over the very people that line their pockets.

Makes me sick.

why is this in jokes and humor?

Just to clarify some things:

1) This is posed in the jokes and humor section for a reason
2) The site BBSpot is a fairly well known satire site (think, The Onion type of material. To quote them from their "about" page:
Called "the world's greatest tech humour site" by The Register, BBspot creates entertainment for the geekier side of the world. BBspot produces a variety of features like fake news stories satirizing the tech and political worlds, the BBspot Mailbag which pokes fun at the Believers (people who believe our fake news) and much more.

The really scary part is this is known as the blu-ray dvd player. The technology is already built into the player, they just have to turn it on.

not a joke.

I don't think the blu-ray players have technology that includes "motion sensors and biometric technology" that will enable the hardware to determine the "specific details on the audience."

The DRM that blu-ray already have is not enabled, by default, They do have the ability to brick your DVD player should you use something they don't like. But are you really gonna wait for Sony to decide when you can and can't borrow a dvd from somenone else and play it on your own?

Because it's made up :laugh:

Bah, so maybe I got a bit worked up over it. :) I did not know that site was satire, although I guess if I had RTFA I would have figured it out. :p To be honest I only skimmed through the quote fitz posted. :speechless:

Still! If it was true, I would be mad. :mad:

But are you really gonna wait for Sony to decide when you can and can't borrow a dvd from somenone else and play it on your own?
Yes of course I am going to trust sony they have a brilliant track record of not hiding anything from their customers or anything else which could be considered underhanded*

*may not be true

This was satire guys.

The fact that people think this is realistic and expect this type of behavior from the RIAA makes it funnier. :p

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1845993,00.asp

The reason this is funny is because the satire is really close to home, like all good satire is. Or for an even better read
http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2006/tc20060526_680075.htm?chan=search

an excerpt
STRANGLEHOLD ON CONTENT. Even more extreme is a scheme called BD+ that deals with the problem of what to do when someone cracks the encryption scheme. The players can automatically download new crypto if the old one is broken. But there's an ominous feature buried in this so-called protection mechanism: If a particular brand of player is cryptographically "compromised," the studio can remotely disable all of the affected players. In other words, if some hacker halfway across the globe cracks Sony's software, Sony can shut down my DVD player across the Net.

Last edited:
Very funny, but you could imagine certain people in power trying to come up with an idea like this! lol! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back