mp3 to floppy

trackrat

Birmingham UK
Is it possible to reduce a MP3 midi file in size enough to put it on a floppy disc?. :confused:

In short, no.

I once spanned an mp3 over 3 floppies to take to a friends house (heh, ye olde days :p) but to be honest the time it takes to split then re-build the other end just isn't worth it. Floppy is a redundant technology as far as I'm concerned.

If I need to take something to a friends house I either, CD-RW it, send it to him/her over IRC before I visit or put it on the web/ftp to download once I'm there.

SPeedY_B said:
In short, no.

I once spanned an mp3 over 3 floppies to take to a friends house (heh, ye olde days :p) but to be honest the time it takes to split then re-build the other end just isn't worth it. Floppy is a redundant technology as far as I'm concerned.

If I need to take something to a friends house I either, CD-RW it, send it to him/her over IRC before I visit or put it on the web/ftp to download once I'm there.
I needed to know this as I want to transfer a mp3 file to a midi so it can be played on my wifes keyboard which will only take floppies, so splitting the file is not really an option

trackrat said:
I needed to know this as I want to transfer a mp3 file to a midi so it can be played on my wifes keyboard which will only take floppies, so splitting the file is not really an option

How about quality reduction? from like 128kbps to 64kbps? that could help.. MusicMatch can do that kinda stuff.. or what about windows media player... .wma format? :confused:

Hope this helps at all

Alex :cool:

There are programs that will convert .wav's to .midi files. You'd have to convert the .mp3 to .wav first. But, one caveat, the programs really only work well with monophonic sources. It has a really tough time converting polyphonic sources. You best bet would be to search the web for a .midi file that someone has already written of the material.

And most .midi files will fit on a floppy.

You can not convert an mp3 to .mid/midi format. No matter how many applications may claim they can do this, it's not possible. There are too many layers to the average piece of music for it to be accurate.

However there are a lot of midi resources out there, I'd suggest searching the net for a midi version of the song/tune you are after. If you have trouble finding it, name the tune and we can help :)

(edit) beaten to it, damnit :p

Thanks dreamliner77 and speedy B, I have managed to find a midi file, this certainly saves some aggravation.

use something like winrar to split the file to 1.44mb and put it on 3 floppies. or re encode it to a low quality.

GoNz0 said:
use something like winrar to split the file to 1.44mb and put it on 3 floppies. or re encode it to a low quality.
Read the thread.. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back