MP3 Player Recommendations?

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
I'm looking for an MP3 Player for around $200AUD ($120USD). Any recommendations? I'm interested in either a solid-state based player with at least 128MB memory or a CD-based player. Are there still any mini-CD MP3 players out there? All suggestions and info are welcome! Thanks.

Cheers,
RaG

I have a recommendation to make, don't let it out of your sight for one minute. I had a nice RCA model about a year ago when they were just becoming popular. The thing cost me an arm and a leg but was worth it. Had it about a month, left it on a table for about a minute while I talked to someone a few meters away.

Was gone when I turned around, so be careful. Its great that things are getting smaller with new technology, but they are becoming so portable you could pocket just about anything.

Didn't see people pocketing your record player back in the day.. :(

Im sure he and myself would appreciate a link of a model name to it, hehe

I'd like to help you out there, but like I said, this was about a year ago. The model is obsolete now, despite the fact that its not that far behind what is available now.

Can't remember the name of the model, all I have to remember it by is the usb adaptor cable it used to hook up to the computer. :(

So many bad memories....*sigh*

Well, since I replied to this thread I felt somewhat obligated to post something relevant.

RCA Lyra

The customer reviews for this player all seem to be postive, the majority of people saying its a steal for the price they are asking.
Average 4/5 rating, with 316 votes is really good.

Its sold out, but I'm sure more places then futureshop would carry them. Its also worth noting that it gets 8 hours of battery life from 2 triple a's, and has 64MB internal memory and a expansion slot for a MMC chip. This means you could throw an additional 64, 128 or 256MB of space into it depending on what you want to spend.

The player itself is $139 Canadian, after sale which is $87.97 American. Well under the amount your looking to spend. This means you could have some extra money to invest in external memory.

Good Luck,
Blitz

Well, i know of one that i have which is great, but costs about $100USD more than what you're looking for, but you get well over 100 times the storage of a memory stick. Hard drive mp3 players. gotta love em.

www.archos.com

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
I have a recommendation to make, don't let it out of your sight for one minute. I had a nice RCA model about a year ago when they were just becoming popular. The thing cost me an arm and a leg but was worth it. Had it about a month, left it on a table for about a minute while I talked to someone a few meters away.

Was gone when I turned around, so be careful. Its great that things are getting smaller with new technology, but they are becoming so portable you could pocket just about anything.

Didn't see people pocketing your record player back in the day.. :(

I'm sorry to hear that Blitzkrieg... :(

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Well, since I replied to this thread I felt somewhat obligated to post something relevant.

RCA Lyra

The customer reviews for this player all seem to be postive, the majority of people saying its a steal for the price they are asking.
Average 4/5 rating, with 316 votes is really good.

Its sold out, but I'm sure more places then futureshop would carry them. Its also worth noting that it gets 8 hours of battery life from 2 triple a's, and has 64MB internal memory and a expansion slot for a MMC chip. This means you could throw an additional 64, 128 or 256MB of space into it depending on what you want to spend.

The player itself is $139 Canadian, after sale which is $87.97 American. Well under the amount your looking to spend. This means you could have some extra money to invest in external memory.

Good Luck,
Blitz

Is it possible to buy that player in Australia? Or do I have to import?

I bought the Sony MiniDisk player and love it. I can get up to 5hrs on one minidisk. The only thig about it is that you have to have Sony's proprietary software installed in order to transfer music to the disks. Other than that its a great little player. I've had it since christmas and have yet to see any problems with it. I take it jogging with me in the morning and it hasnt skipped once. The one I have came with a cradle so you can charge the batteries without taking them out and a cassette adapter so that you can hook it up in your car. (as long as you have a cassette player in your car). Here's one on Amazon, I dont think this one comes with the extra's though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008IHOZ/104-5662150-7755110?vi=glance

Also my girlfriend just bought the Nike psa 128 the other day. I havent had a chance to play with it yet though:confused:[

I reccomend the RCA Lyra...I have the K@ZOO but the Lyra is basicly the same thing

Originally posted by Serra
I bought the Sony MiniDisk player and love it. I can get up to 5hrs on one minidisk. The only thig about it is that you have to have Sony's proprietary software installed in order to transfer music to the disks. Other than that its a great little player.

DO NOT BUY A SONY NETMD!!! I REPEAT!!! DO NOT BUY A SONY NETMD!!!

The huge amount of DRM on Sony's software and player is excruciatingly painful.

In fact do not get any of the NetMDs. They all use Sony's retarded DRM infested JukeBox.

Sharp's NetMD uses the Sony Jukebox... its stupid.

Get a normal MD and if your an audiophile, go buy a USB optical dongle so that you have Optical output on your PC without the need to buy an Audigy Platinum.

As far as MD's go. Do not buy Sony. Buy Sharp or Panasonic.. better sound quality all round.

What is DRM? I wish I had talked ot you before I bought the Sony...:(

I believe it stands for Digital Rights Management. and judging by that, i think it means that you may or may not be able to use copied cd's/mp3's. not exactly sure though. just a guess about the second part.

DRM is a security feature, primarily of WMA files, but is on some other file types as well. If the DRM tag is enabled then that file can only be played on that device. It cannot be moved without the Certificate also being moved to the new device and so on. If you are getting your audio files from p2p, then the DRM tag will be disabled. If you are encoding them from a CD then you can disable it. If they came on your device (I had a few tracks like this on my Nomad Zen when I got it) then you will be unable to move them to another device. I dont think there are any MP3 players that you can export your certificate to

Yeap... digital rights management.

I borrowed my cousins netmd thinking it would be faster for my mp3 -> md conversions.

wow... it saved me 5 minutes on the usual 72 mins....

Anywayz... to top it off... i can no longer delete the songs from the MD unless i use my cousins netmd software... awesome... a permanently locked MD.

What sony has done is that you can put stuff onto your NetMD once. You can't get it off it and it encodes it into its proprietry ATRAC-3 format.

One way traffic for those songs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back