mp3 player in car

Canadave

Junior Ranger
I want to get an iPod or Dell Jukebox to play in the car, so my CDs aren't rattling all over.

Options seem to include a cassette adaptor (I don't have a cassette player) or an FM transmitter. I haven't heard great things about these transmitters...static etc.

Are there any other options? (I do have a CD player in the car.)

Do you think a car audio place could hardwire a jack or something?

Thanks,

Cd

If your deck has AUX inputs on the back, your can wire in a jack yourself. You would simply need a set of stereo RCA plugs

Originally posted by Goatman
If your deck has AUX inputs on the back...

It's the crappy CD player that came with the vehicle, so I doubt there are inputs, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for the input!

Cd

If your car had an option for a cd changer, there is some type of factory din-type input thingy. What make/model/year car do you have? Some aftermarket manufacturers have adapters that will allow you to plug in as an aux in. Barring that, mp3-cd aftermarket decks are not expensive anymore.

aux is the cheapest possibility. hope for it, because if not, plan on spending $400+ on a Head unit with a usb or firewire.

Originally posted by dreamliner77
...What make/model/year car do you have?

It's a '04 Chevy Venture (mini-van - quite the chick magnet!)

What does "din-type" mean? I don't really want a deck...I want a portable that I can also use in the car.

dubstar, what does "Head unit with a usb or firewire" mean?

Sorry for my naivete,

David

i have an ipod 3g 30gig, just got an fm transmiter. in silent part of the songs you can hear the hiss/buzz what ever you want to call it. other wise its great. only used it since last thursday so no big complaints yet :) hope this help out

You could change out the cd player for one that will play mp3 cd's. That will cut the number of cd's rolling around big time. RIP all your favorites to a couple of cd's.

If you got the fancy chevy stereo, you should have had the option to get the changer also. That means that there is a plug on the back of your stereo that is proabably round and has about 15 conductors. This is to control the changer and carry audio from the changer. There should be an adapter available that will allow you to just use the audio part as two RCA jacks/

Thanks for the suggestion, LeeJend.

Dreamliner, I don't think it's that fancy, but I'll look into it.

Thanks all,

Cd

Originally posted by dreamliner77
If you got the fancy chevy stereo, you should have had the option to get the changer also. That means that there is a plug on the back of your stereo that is proabably round and has about 15 conductors. This is to control the changer and carry audio from the changer. There should be an adapter available that will allow you to just use the audio part as two RCA jacks/

what he said.

and about the USB and Firewire ports on the radio deck.. its just a way to hookup 2 devices for exchange of files...

the iPod should have some assessories that let it connect through RCA.. and it should come with a car stand... just like in the VW Beatles.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back