Mozilla Vs Internet Explorer!!

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
I see people singing Mozilla's praise all the time, saying how much better than IE it is. So, i tried it. And for the life of me i cant see any way in which it is better, infact more so the opposite (eg webpage loading up fauty)

Is it simply a case of anti-Microsoft people doing all they can or am i missing something?

I am with u, teddy...I believe it's what you get used to.

I likedmopera least of all

Mozilla has two main features that IE does not...

1.) Tab browsing. Instead of opening so many windows and taking up your task menu space..it will put each 'window' in a tab..

2.) It will block pop-ups...yay!

There are quite a few advanages it has over IE...but I am to used to IE to fully convert to Mozilla...so I just uninstalled it..

P.S Wait till Speedy_B shows up :p

if you like the tabs, 87, just download my ie...very small add on app for ie...has every trick that opera and mozilla have, with the ie.

as far as add blocking...the biggest thing that I will not give up, is add sheild....this does so much more then add blocking, that I will use nothing that can't let me use ad shield

Where do you get my ie and adshield from dealer?

NEvar ph43r I is hyar!

Right...
Internet Explorer has many many flaws and security issues.
It has NO flexability as a browser with VERY limited options and configurations.
It completely fails to render pages correctly by failing to follow the strict regulations set by the standards commission.
its a single document interface, requiring multiple windows open sometimes.
it has very limited functionality other than browsing.
It has no theming options.
it DOES start faster than mozilla, because its based on the explorer that is constantly running in the background.

Mozilla has the functionality to block various un-wanted net scripts such as pop-ups, images, images from certain servers.
It allows tabbed browsing, allowing multiple sites loaded in a single window.
it has the sidebar which is a very usefull addition (i have my own sidebar for this site, keeping me updated on the latest forum posts and new items)
its way more secure than IE
it uses the Gecko rendering engine as used by netscape and the apple operating systems.
it follows the compliancy regulations better than ANY other browser.

Thats just a few things i can think of, and Mozilla renders pages how they should look like, the standards commision set out guidelines for HTML coding, so obviously browsers need to be designed to read and display this code correctly, which IE doesnt do.

teddy...I'm on a slow connection...can't find the links right now..they are both linked in the free programms thread.

then, look for some of my very old posts on great tricks you can do with addshield

Right...
"Internet Explorer has many many flaws and security issues."

.....and mozilla has none??

"It has NO flexability as a browser with VERY limited options and configurations. "

....how flexible does a browser need to be before it ISNT an internet browser anymore?! What options are missing?

"it has very limited functionality other than browsing."

...afterall, it is an INTERNET BROWSER, no?

"its way more secure than IE"

....says who?

"it uses the Gecko rendering engine as used by netscape and the apple operating systems."

...oh, the Gecko engine, thats a good thing right? ;)

"and Mozilla renders pages how they should look like."

....it CERTAINLY doesn't do this when i tried it, first page i went to (ntfs.org!) wasnt properly displayed in Mozilla (the image at the top of the home page was messed up).

Weak argument, but appreciated.

PS This is not meant to be moody in any way whatsoever, hope no offense is taken at my tone! ;)

NEvar ph43r I is hyar!

...(IE) completely fails to render pages correctly by failing to follow the strict regulations set by the standards commission.

I must disagree on this point, IE renders everything just fine. The standard not being upheld is primarily on the coder's end: many designers do not follow W3C guidelines. If followed, IE (and just about every other browser) renders perfectly.

The IE browser is really a great piece of work. The way MS uses it (or mis-uses it) however, is certainly a fuel for debate.

Speedy...here's a tip for mozilla users especially;

xp is designed to release ram as soon as you minimize.

this is especially apparent with the mozilla windows.

when you are switching focus, do anything but minimize, and the mozilla window will return immediately.

if you minimize, by the time you come back to a window, xp will have found other use for the ram released, and the window will have to be faulted in.

just a tip

of all browsers IE probably controls 90+ percent of the market which's probably why there are so few holes in Mozilla and others as nobody cares to exploit them ...why waste time finding holes in something virtualy nobody uses??? :) (imo)

I am a Netscape bigot but I am starting to use IE more and more. The Gecko engine used by Netscape 7 (and 7.01) seems to load pages a lot faster than IE (though I haven't measured with a stopwatch) and doesn't have near as many problems loading jpg's as IE and previous releases of Netscape.

A drawback with the new Netscape (7.0 and 7.01) is the amount of time it takes to save something (a jpg or the html text of the page). On my machine (specs listed in my signature), it takes a full 9 seconds to display the Save As dialog, measured from the time you right-click a jpg and click Save Image As. It then takes 15 seconds or longer for Netscape to save the file and return control of the browser window.

It is not a performance issue with my system as everything else just SCREAMS, even saving from Word.

Other than that I like Netscape fine.

burpster

you are 100% correct, and the only reason ie is a bigger sucurity question is the fact that it is more pervasive in use.

that's a valid point, but it is only an academic one.

it doesn't change the fact that ie i a bigger security issue then mozilla, it only points out the reasons.

anyway, I have no personal security problems with ie, and the issues are always addressed as soon as possibe, when discoverd

I maintain, it's really what you get used to.

though for my money and argument, if I'm using windows, it doesn't make sense to run two apps that do the work of one.

explorer will always be running, even though you run mozilla.

this translates into a performance bog, no matter how you look at it.

"Internet Explorer has many many flaws and security issues."
.....and mozilla has none??
If you read, i put that its more secure...i didnt say its 100% secure...that'd be stupid of me.

"It has NO flexability as a browser with VERY limited options and configurations. "
....how flexible does a browser need to be before it ISNT an internet browser anymore?! What options are missing?
things like blocking images, which you can do in ie... but not from specific servers..such as ad servers, you can do this in mozilla with a simple right click. blocking pop-ups as standard would be nice too

"it has very limited functionality other than browsing."
...afterall, it is an INTERNET BROWSER, no?
cant argue with that. winamp was once a music player..look a v3, its crap. but small bits of extra functionality such as the sidebar dont do any harm.

"its way more secure than IE"
....says who?
me.

"it uses the Gecko rendering engine as used by netscape and the apple operating systems."
...oh, the Gecko engine, thats a good thing right? ;)
Yes, its more efficient than Microsofts engines

"and Mozilla renders pages how they should look like."
....it CERTAINLY doesn't do this when i tried it, first page i went to (ntfs.org!) wasnt properly displayed in Mozilla (the image at the top of the home page was messed up).
no, mozilla renders page how they should look like. this is one point that i absolutely refuse to back down on, because its absolute pure fact.
the fact is that IE makes the pages look nice and doesnt follow the standards..the rules...the regulations that should be followed when rendering a page. if you come across a page that looks different in mozilla to what it does in IE, the simple fact that its coded wrong. Microsoft took it upon themselves to create new HTML tags and css that only IE renders right (lighter this is what i meant, i worded it wrong first time) and isnt a part of the standards at all.
any of the other points you can argue, but if you want to argue this one you can go and take it up with the standards commision.
the top part of the NTFS.org page is coded incorrectly when checked against compliancy guidelines, and this is why it looks wrong in mozilla.

of all browsers IE probably controls 90+ percent of the market which's probably why there are so few holes in Mozilla and others as nobody cares to exploit them ...why waste time finding holes in something virtualy nobody uses???
Microsoft owns 90%+ of the o/s market.. ie comes with windows.
just because 90% of people use windows it doesnt mean its as good as linux or apple os

on another note... Dealer thanks for that, My browser window is always open anyway :)

SysProg, this may be because of the "Download Manager"
I'm not sure if its the same with netscape as it is Mozilla, or if netscape even has the manager, but anyway....
Click tools > Download manager, then clear all previous downloads (Ctrl+A then del should sort it), This should sort the save dioalogs out.

SPeedY_B

Thank you. I'll give that a try this evening when I get home.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back