Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 with free Hotmail account?

Moonwraith

OSNN Veteran Addict
Hiya,
Is it possible to access a free hotmail account using Thunderbird? (anyone worked out how to do it?)

Thanks

I think not, well at least I only use my thunderbird for POP3 email (which hotmail is not) and I think that's the way it is meant to go - plus M$ hate you using anything that is not their own really.... watch out for M$ "spaces" blogware coming your way soon!

I'm sure there are applications out there which retrieve information from Hotmail then present it to your client as pop3 information. Someone should be able to recommend one, unfortunately I don't know any.

SPeedY_B said:
I'm sure there are applications out there which retrieve information from Hotmail then present it to your client as pop3 information. Someone should be able to recommend one, unfortunately I don't know any.

Yep.. you can use outlook express ..

Cen0x said:
Yep.. you can use outlook express ..
Can't use it anymore. I know my rents do (I set up their O.E before the new 250mb accounts came out)

Shortly before the hotmail upgrade they set up a new set of "rules" by which you have to pay to use outlook/Outlook express (their premium account). Trying it now causes the following error:

"Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com"

[edit] Thanks for the link American Zombie, I'll have a looksee at "Mr Postman" and see if it works! Thanks again [/edit]

Hotmail access through Outlook and Outlook Express will become a subscription service. The transition has already taken place for several Hotmail users, and other accounts will soon follow, so don't count on it for too long.

Your best bet is to use one of the HTTP to POP3 apps that were posted in the thread American Zombie linked to. I have the older, freeware version of Hotmail Popper set up for my mom and it works just fine with Thunderbird, Outlook or anything else.

Mainframeguy said:
plus M$ hate you using anything that is not their own really.... watch out for M$ "spaces" blogware coming your way soon!
The public beta has been up for a while now at http://spaces.msn.com. It actually displays fine in Firefox, apart from certain special sections like the photo slideshow tile. Wallop works perfectly well in Firefox too.

Excellent, I'll give that a try. I was beaten by the .jar format that Mr. Postman came as :wow: lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back