• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mozilla Foundation Forms Subsidiary

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
The Mozilla Foundation that organizes development of the Firefox Web browser has formed a corporate subsidiary, an unusual move for a technology nonprofit.

"The Mozilla Corp. is not a typical commercial entity," said Mitchell Baker, the new subsidiary's president. "Rather it is dedicated to the public benefit goal at the heart of the Mozilla project, which is to keep the Internet open and available to everyone."

Mozilla Corp. will work mainly on developing and delivering free software products such as the Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail program. The foundation will manage projects, set policies and organize relationships among developers.

The new business will be based in Mountain View, as is the foundation. It is expected to have about 30 employees, compared with three or four at the foundation, Baker said.

Its software will remain free.
Full Story

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
I am kind of amazed and perplexed at the same time. Not confused, but just wondering how this is going to work out.

Heeter

Xie

- geek -
Interesting move for a tax break. Interesting that forming a "commercial" company sector would give one a better tax stance then being a non-profit. I for one would have thought the secound to be better, though I guess with a "commercial" sector you could perhaps write more off as business exspenses?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi LordofLA,

The article mentions how Monzilla receives financial restitution from Google for having Google as the default homepage, I am wondering myself what else that this "Non-profit" foundation does to pay over thirty employees.

Heeter

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
how can they have employees if the software is free ?? They expect to get donations from everyone ??

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Johnny said:
how can they have employees if the software is free ?? They expect to get donations from everyone ??
The software doesn't appear out of think air, and the web server isn't administered by hamsters. Nearly every organisation needs employees.

None-profits are allowed to make enough money to pay employees, just not enough to be rolling in cash Google/Microsoft style. (That's how I always thought it worked anyway)

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
SPeedY_B said:
The software doesn't appear out of think air, and the web server isn't administered by hamsters. Nearly every organization needs employees.

None-profits are allowed to make enough money to pay employees, just not enough to be rolling in cash Google/Microsoft style. (That's how I always thought it worked anyway)
I know this. But, where are they getting the money from if it's free. I don't think some billionaire just said to them; "hey, I want to waste some of y money so here is a couple of million dollars". I don't see how they can get anything if it's free .. They have to be getting money from somewhere ..

Now, if it was a college type thing, then yes, they can get funding from the government. But, a non profit organization that has free software is unexplainable ..

Johnny said:
I know this. But, where are they getting the money from if it's free. I don't think some billionaire just said to them; "hey, I want to waste some of y money so here is a couple of million dollars". I don't see how they can get anything if it's free .. They have to be getting money from somewhere ..
The Mozilla Foundation receives a considerable amount of funding and resources from some pretty large organizations like AOL, Sun, RedHat etc.

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
Johnny said:

Now, if it was a college type thing, then yes, they can get funding from the government. But, a non profit organization that has free software is unexplainable ..
This is part of the full article:
Already, Google Inc. pays Mozilla an unspecified amount to ship Firefox with a version of Google's search engine as the default home page.

Xie

- geek -
NetRyder said:
The Mozilla Foundation receives a considerable amount of funding and resources from some pretty large organizations like AOL, Sun, RedHat etc.
That is just what I was going to post. They have alot of BIG corporations shelling out money (partly to be nice, partly to possible use their code in the future), as well as all the individuals that send donations.

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix