mozilla (firefox) ?

mooo

thecyberninja
i remember hearing that mozilla was owned by netscape is that true?

No.

Alright, to be a bit more descriptive, the code base that Mozilla uses was Netscape's code that they made open-source and the Mozilla Foundation was founded. I don't think Netscape ever "owned" the Mozilla Foundation, though, as that would mean that AOL would own it now, as AOL now owns Netscape. However, as we know, AOL does not own Mozilla.

Melon

Here's your answer: http://www.mozilla.org/about/

More specifically the following Quote:

About the Mozilla Foundation

Established in July, 2003, with start-up support from America Online's Netscape division, the Mozilla Foundation exists to provide organizational, legal, and financial support for the Mozilla open-source software project. The Foundation has been incorporated as a California not-for-profit corporation to ensure that the Mozilla project continues to exist beyond the participation of individual volunteers, to enable contributions of intellectual property and funds and to provide a vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in open-source software projects. Please consider supporting the Mozilla Foundation by making a contribution.

We thank the more than 500 individuals and organizations who have already made a donation.

Read the July 15 announcement about the creation of the Mozilla Foundation.

Mozilla Foundation Board of Directors:

• Mitch Kapor, Chair
  • Mitchell Baker, President
  • Brian Behlendorf
  • Brendan Eich
  • Chris Blizzard
The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit corporation exempt from federal income taxation under IRC 501(c)3. Donations are tax deductible.

And for more useless facts "Mozilla" was the code name under Netscape what is now known as "Gecko" under MoFo. ;)

non-profit corporation

I think that line is a huge deception. I love firefox and have donated before, but people dont realize that non-profit companies still make money, its just not profit. I don't think mozilla is like that but its just a misleading term. You have been warned!!

zeke_mo said:
I think that line is a huge deception. I love firefox and have donated before, but people dont realize that non-profit companies still make money, its just not profit. I don't think mozilla is like that but its just a misleading term. You have been warned!!

So what if they make money? As long as I'm not paying for it I still love it!

zeke_mo said:
Yep. They can make $ but are not in the business to make $. :p Charitys and most big organizations are like that. I'm not sure about MoFo but alot organizations pay the head folks HUGE amounts $ and still are "non-profit". Kind of ironic when only 1/4(+/-) of $ in actually goes to what it's suppose to.

Is it wrong to steal some bread to feed your family? And say you have a big family, is it wrong to steal a whole truck load of bread? And say your family doesn't like bread, say they like cigarettes. And say instead of keeping those cigarettes say they sell them at a tidy profit. Is that wrong?

sweetlu said:
Is it wrong to steal some bread to feed your family? And say you have a big family, is it wrong to steal a whole truck load of bread? And say your family doesn't like bread, say they like cigarettes. And say instead of keeping those cigarettes say they sell them at a tidy profit. Is that wrong?

That said, they are no longer a non-profit company.

They would need to reinvest into the company, donations go to pay whoever works for them, their expenses, and for product development, advertising and such.

What is a nonprofit corporation?

A nonprofit corporation is an organization formed as a corporation for purposes other than generating a profit, and in which no part of the organization's income is distributed to its directors or officers. Nonprofits are formed pursuant to state law, often under the Revised Model Non-Profit Corporation Act (1986). A nonprofit can be a church or church association, school, charity, medical provider, legal aid society, volunteer service organization, professional association, research institute, museum, or in some cases a sports association. Being formed with the state as a nonprofit corporation does not automatically provide an organization with tax-exempt status. Nonprofits must apply for tax-exempt status at the federal and sometimes at the state level.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything :dead:

If your evil you can become a "non-profit" and keep 99% of all funds that come in (making like 100K+ a year) and pay no taxes at all. :)

Hmmmmmm... Why make millions when you can make

Billions!

*Dr. Evil laugh* Muahahahahahaaha!

gonaads said:
Hmmmmmm... Why make millions when you can make

Billions!

*Dr. Evil laugh* Muahahahahahaaha!
Meh... Why make billions when you can have MINIONS to do it for you! *even louder evil laugh*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back