Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they work Mubbs?
I can't run java with firefox either.Tried downloading from a link it gave me but it couldn't install it,said there was a problem. :confused:

spellcheck for firefox

i just installed the spellchecker for firefox, could someone give me a tuturel on how to use it? i'm used to using ie spell & i'm not sure how to use the firefox spellchecker.
can someone give me guidance?

ok i'm kinda anoyed, i have 3 bookmarks set as my homepages:
1) Ntfs
2) spammers-paradise
3) fsmail

when i open firefox + connect to my connection ntfs + sp down come up, i just get the pop-up saying they cant be found, i then get anoyed + close the tabs + click the homepage button, then they work fine????

could it be it's trying to open the pages too quickly? (before connection is 100% made)

Question:
I have just discovered that there are hundreds of built-in options available in Mozilla/FireFox, to make it act and look exactly like you want. I have found that the about:config command brings up a lot of options, but I don't understand what most of these options do. Before I am going to try trial and error and causing the thing to lock up, I first want to know what it does. Is there a documentation list available with each of these options explained? Same question for the chromeUser.css and chromeContent.css files, I can't find any documentation for them. I did found a list with some examples for some of the options on http://mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html, but I couldn't find a link with all options explained. Especially with the css files that would be handy.

Awww. Looks like it will be experimenting then. Not at home, but on my school computer.

Glaanieboy said:
Awww. Looks like it will be experimenting then. Not at home, but on my school computer.

There's nothin like a "crash test dummy" that is NOT you computer to make experimenting go that much better. And more fun. :D

gonaads said:
There's nothin like a "crash test dummy" that is NOT you computer to make experimenting go that much better. And more fun. :D
Well, it is my computer (actually only the harddisk, which resides in a bracket and can be used in 24 exactly the same configured computers), so if I **** up, I can't browse anymore, except when I reinstall. There is always IE of course, but I want to use that as little as possible.

X-Istence: great tip, will do that, thanks ;)

A minor annoyance that I've come across lately...

My bookmarks will not arrange automatically. In Manage Bookmarks I set the view to "Sorted by Name," but this doesn't seem to effect the bookmarks as they show up in the toolbar when I click on Bookmarks. All I can do so far is manually drag the bookmarks into the order that I want them to appear. Am I missing something here?

How to set proxies to access the Internet in Camino?I cannot find the settings in the
preferences.

J.Lee said:
How to set proxies to access the Internet in Camino?I cannot find the settings in the
preferences.

Assuming that the menu structure is the same in FireFox and Camino,FF has it under Tools -> Options -> General -> Connection Settings (button).

i just forget this: how can i enable thunderbird to display my html email messages? rigth now it just only display them as plain text, cant remember how to turn on html

EDIT

nevermind i found it :D :D

How can I uninstall a plugin. There is a better one and I want to install that one instead. Only I can't figure out to get rid of the other one! I know it's got to be easy, I'm just missing it!

1. Exit Mozilla Firefox.
2. Browse to the "chrome" directory of your Mozilla Firefox application directory.
3. Delete "chrome.rdf" and the "overlayinfo" directory (they will regenerated on next Firefox startup).
4. Delete [extensionname].jar (or the [extensionname] directory, if it has one).
5. Remove every line with a reference to [extensionname] from "installed-chrome.txt". Usually there are two: one to the content and one to the locale.
6. A few extensions might use additional files. TBE, for examplem has a "tabextensions.js" in "[/path/to/firefox]/defaults/pref/" to store its defaults in. Search through your application dir for such files and delete them.
7. Restart Mozilla Firefox.

It's probably a good idea to make backups of the files/directories before deleting/changing anything to be able to restore the status quo in case anything goes wrong.

Note: The procedure above applies only to extensions that are installed in the application directory. To remove extensions from the profile, your safest course of action is to create a new profile and transfer over files from the previous one.

Can someone do me a favor and upload the GIF image for the Google search that shows up next to the address bar? It's the image with the magnifying glass in Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins. Thanks!

muzikool said:
Can someone do me a favor and upload the GIF image for the Google search that shows up next to the address bar? It's the image with the magnifying glass in Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins. Thanks!

Nag nag nag :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back