Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebird 0.8 might be released this Monday. Don't take my word for it...it's just a possibility.

And here's an unofficial "changelog" of the 0.7->0.8 transition from a developer's blog. Those of us keeping up with the nightlies have seen a lot of this implemented already.

New features:
* Windows installer
* New download manager
* Work Offline
* Add Bookmark dialog: recent-folders dropdown and folder-selection tree (replacing a single dropdown listing all folders)
* DOM Inspector is now included in zip builds
* IDN support
* IPv6 support on Windows 2000/XP/2003

Major improvements:
* 220807 - prompt user about invalid text/plain content. (Solves most problems like "Firebird tries to display some .rar files instead of downloading them.") w00t! :D
* 214266 - Find should wrap by default
* 217286 - Cookie whitelist should override session cookie option.
* 142459(?) - Shift+click and middle-click on scroll bar should jump to that location
* 214260 - XPInstall UI improvements
* 33282 - enable external scheme handlers (like aim: and telnet: ) in Linux
* 6% faster page loading (comparing December to September on a Tp (pageloader time) graph)

Important bug fixes:
* 210910 - Right-clicking a file within a bookmarks folder in the bookmarks menu or toolbar makes that folder inaccessible.
* 203102 - URL typed into address bar lost after switching tabs; "Open in new tab" should prefill URI in address bar.
* 222157 - View Source: Find and Save don't work.
* 213250 - Autoscroll prevents middle clicking on links in XML (XHTML) documents.
* 224416 - Tabs don't remember focused element.
* 216170 - Send Page (as Link) omits query string
* 98564 - caret overlaps the last character in textfield (if positioned after the last char).
* 212366 - Make -moz-opacity apply to descendants as a group, as required by CSS3 opacity
* 219705 - Linux: Blackdown Java crashes, saying "Internal error on browser end".
* 102578 - Linux: Clicking wrongfully fires onmouseout (breaks some dhtml menus, css/edge menus)
* 201209 - GTK2: -moz-opacity makes things invisible.

:)

A handy little tool to use when migrating over to new builds:

Mozilla Backup
Mozilla Backup is a utility for creating backups of Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Mozilla Thunderbird and Netscape profiles. It allows you to backup mail, favorites, contacts, etc. It works under Windows 95 or higher.

obr4.png

Just run the tool, backup the important stuff from your profile folder, delete the profile and program folders, install the new build, and restore the backup. Everything should be nice and clean. :)

EDIT: Forgot the URL. Here it is: http://backup.jasnapaka.com/ :)

Great utility. I'll use that when 0.8 is released. Thanks! :D

Yeah, works well when they make major changes to nightlies and you have to nuke your profile folder to avoid major bugs. :D

where do you download Mozilla Backup? can't find it on the site.

I cannot send emails to webmail accounts (msn, btopenworld etc) with Thunderbird. It sends fine to pop3 though.

Alert box says:-
' Error occured while sending mail the mail server responded:relaying mail to btopenworld is not allowed'

Any ideas?

Can't wait for 0.8! I got away from the nightlies because I lost my scroll bar!

Official word by Ben Goodger (FB Developer):

UPDATE: ETA is now mid-late next week while we spin final testing builds, prepare site updates, release notes, etc.

Might have to wait for a couple of extra days, but it'll be so worth it :D
Can't wait to see more 0.8 compatible skins being released. The choice is pretty limited at the moment.

DFX said:
right on this backup thing. if i backup thunderbird will it save my emails with the profile?

Looking at the screenshot, there seems to be a checkbox to backup email. I don't use Thunderbird on Windows, so you'll have to try it for yourself and see.

Got a bit of a problem with Thunderbird. My provider recently changed the mail server addresses for my POP account. I changed the POP server ok but the I cant find where to change the SMTP without deleting and creating the account again.

Any ideas?

I just upgraded to 0.7 from 0.6.1 Where does Mozilla sotre bookmarks & passwords etc.. as it transfered them across. I looked for a folder with them in the 0.6.1 directory but couldn't see any ???

Also is it possible to set up firebird so it starts up with multiple tabs open... if so how?

Got a bit of a problem with Thunderbird. My provider recently changed the mail server addresses for my POP account. I changed the POP server ok but the I cant find where to change the SMTP without deleting and creating the account again.

Any ideas?

You need to edit your pref.js file in your profile.

I just upgraded to 0.7 from 0.6.1 Where does Mozilla sotre bookmarks & passwords etc.. as it transfered them across. I looked for a folder with them in the 0.6.1 directory but couldn't see any ???

Also is it possible to set up firebird so it starts up with multiple tabs open... if so how?

1)your settings are saved in the profile folder: http://texturizer.net/firebird/edit.html#profile
2)seperate your homepages with a "|"

No more speculation. The release date is now official \o/

Ben Goodger said:
It's Monday February 9 now. This is the first time I've been confident enough to give a date. This release is going to be the best Firebird yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back