Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both :) Oh and supprt for MSN accounts, like OL has (direct access to MSN mail from OL so you can move mails around etc)

images with firefox 0.8 are also a lot slower too load than IE6 here too, but i like the rest of its features, so will be sticking with it..

tried out thunderbird 0.5 but after importing accounts i had an ugly list of them all on the left, instead of just a combined inbox, and couldnt figure out how too remove the accounts in that list, and just have one set of inbox/sent etc..

also it isnt compatible with my avg email antivirus, which changes the accounts too 127.0.0.1:port
just said "127.0.0.1 cant be opened" or something too that affect

so for now im sticking wih my firetrust mailwasher/OE combination

I installed Firefox just for the heck of it and everything loads fine here ... I'll be sticking w/ the better mozilla though :D

I just installed one of today's custom builds and WOW, it is pretty slick I suggest trying it out!

Link
(I'm using Lovharn's O2 builds)

Too lazy to find out if its been posted already, but a handy tweak for those wanting to use prefetch.
Add this line to the TARGET of yoru shortcuts.
"G:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" /prefetch:1

when you install a new nightly build do you have to redo all the preferences and extensions?

Tuffgong4 said:
when you install a new nightly build do you have to redo all the preferences and extensions?

User data is stored by default in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Phoenix"

While the application directory itself is designated by you. I like to actually change mine so that it stores my profile on a seperate area selected as backup for my disk. You should delete your installation directory before installing each new build.

Use to start mozilla with the profile manager.
"C:\<your installation location>\firefox.exe" /p

chaos945 said:
I just installed one of today's custom builds and WOW, it is pretty slick I suggest trying it out!

Yup, the 20040219 build is quite snappy. A bunch of string changes in the code were checked in yesterday, which apparently make several parts of the browser quicker. :)

I know I'm in the minority but I like the "feel" I suppose is how you would put it of mozilla over Firefox. Is there perhaps a theme or something out there that would make FireFox feel more like mozilla?

If you download and install Firefox and you do not like it how easy is it to go back to IE6 other than using system restore.

Firefox and IE can co-exist on the same machine. Installing Firefox doesn't mean you're removing IE from the system (which I doubt is possible anyway). You can have both of them running at the same time.
When you first run Firefox and it prompts you if it should be set as the default browser, select No. That way, IE will still remain the default browser on your system. If you like Firefox, you can always set it as your default browser in the Options dialog later on.
If for some reason you don't like it, all you have to do is uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove Programs, and you can continue to use IE just as your normally would.

So go ahead and give it a try. :)

Question! I can only right click and save link to disk. If I click the link it wants to open the file. How can I change this?

NetRyder said:
Firefox and IE can co-exist on the same machine. Installing Firefox doesn't mean you're removing IE from the system (which I doubt is possible anyway). You can have both of them running at the same time.
When you first run Firefox and it prompts you if it should be set as the default browser, select No. That way, IE will still remain the default browser on your system. If you like Firefox, you can always set it as your default browser in the Options dialog later on.
If for some reason you don't like it, all you have to do is uninstall Firefox from Add/Remove Programs, and you can continue to use IE just as your normally would.

So go ahead and give it a try. :)
Thanks for that NetRyder I shall give it a go. :)

funky dredd said:
Question! I can only right click and save link to disk. If I click the link it wants to open the file. How can I change this?
Not entirly sure what you mean, but if you go to download options you can set a file type to have a default action when clicked.

I guess I should say. When I click a link to download something, it wants to open it instead of saving it to the default location. I don't want it to open, I would like to save it.

funky dredd said:
I guess I should say. When I click a link to download something, it wants to open it instead of saving it to the default location. I don't want it to open, I would like to save it.
Then what i said was almost correct. go to tools->options->downloads click the option that says save all files to this folder.

Although for a better way of doing it, download the extentions "download sort". This allows you to automaticlay (ie don't get dialog box) files into different locations based on the file type (and some other options)

TB & OE

I have just installed Firefox 0.8 and it has no E-Mail features, it recommends downloading Thunderbird for E-Mail facilities.
Can Outlook Express be kept as the default E-Mail application while I get used to thunderbird. :confused:

trackrat said:
I have just installed Firefox 0.8 and it has no E-Mail features, it recommends downloading Thunderbird for E-Mail facilities.
Can Outlook Express be kept as the default E-Mail application while I get used to thunderbird. :confused:

Firefox is a standalone browser. As suggested, you could use Thunderbird as your mail client. The two apps are complementary to each other, in a way.

And yes, Thunderbird and Outlook Express can co-exist quite happily just like Firefox and IE can on the same system. :)

ok so I uninstall Firefox if I want to install a nightly build...but the preferences should be there because the personla data is saved in a different place?

Yes, your preferences, bookmarks etc are stored in your profile folder, so they will remain even after you uninstall Firebird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back