Mozilla: Firebird

I hate the Mozilla engine, so I use Avant Browser. It's fast, stable, has all the trimmings, and works like a charm.

indyjones, I don't think that there is a way to export messages back into outlook format :confused:

allbusiness, do you hate it for being faster, more efficient and more secure? shame on you :p

Originally posted by indyjones
Thanks just another quick question before i download tonight.... can you export back to outlook say if i dont like it ? (I did say if :) )

Maybe this...

2.10 How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see The Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files – one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in ‘mbox’ format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation’s Mail folder.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B

allbusiness, do you hate it for being faster, more efficient and more secure? shame on you :p

Well.. the IE engine seems more smooth. For example, I get little windows popping up that say "The page contains no data" in Firebird all the time. Avant Browser also handles tabbed browsing more efficiently.

And plus, Firebird is .06 or something, far from stable =(

I use firebird every single day for long periods of time, I've found it to be more stable than IE, and there is absolutely no denying that it's more secure.
Version numbers mean nothing, Windows is only at version 5, does that mean that it's not as good as Slackware because that's at v9?

Mozilla.org
Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 is a Technology Preview. While this software works well in most cases, generally well enough to be relied upon as your primary browser, we make no guarantees of its performance or stability in its pre-1.0 state and it should not be relied upon for mission-critical tasks.

The Nightly builds certainly aren't stable enough. All I'm saying is that when it is given time to mature, it'll be much better than IE or any shell for it such as Avant Browser.

Hopefully they'll sort out what needs to be done to get it merged with the main Mozilla suite soon. It should be of a so called "release" standard by then.
btw, I use the nightlies, the official releases are missing all the new shiny features :p :D

The nightlies are fickle beasts; only working when the planets are aligned ;)

Regarding the Aebrahim Optimized Builds of Thunderbird, do you find them to be as stable as the reguler Firebird releases?

oh, what is the difference between the "G6" and "G7" builds? Both SSE but... no idea what the other part means

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Windows is only at version 5, does that mean that it's not as good as Slackware because that's at v9?

nod.gif

speedy, could you explain something?

I am confused with the whole nightlies thing. What is the difference between the public release and the nightly builds? Do they add little stuff everyday and you download and extract it to the same folder every night?

Sorry for all the questions...

I use Firebird 0.6.1 that I got from the main page.. and it works great. What is new in the nightly builds?

ps. what is slackware? screenshot? :p

Nice to see such a gecko-crowd. ;>
I'm using Mozilla myself, there were a few annoying things about Firebird I couldn't quite work out. But there's no doubt, Firebird looks alot better than Moz. ;>

Nightly builds in comparison to the public ones are the ones that have added code, tweaks, options, etc... that are sometimes in the "raw" and are out there to be tested by us... the few, the insaine, the hardcore "we don't care if it crashes as long as it has new things ta play with" kinda person. Some of these "nightly" builds are very stable and do quite well, others are buggy as hell. Some people prefer the public release ones cause they have been given the old "oky doky" and don't wanna deal with buggy unstable fun stuff. :D

Originally posted by CJC
ps. what is slackware? screenshot? :p

Go here and read...

slackware

And here is a screen shot

http://www.dedserius.com/Win2kLinuxUNIX.gif

Where this guy describes the screen as:

This one's too bizarre too deal with. While sitting at my Slackware 7.1 Athlon 600 (17" monitor), I've got an X session to my PIII Intel 700 IBM T-20 Thinkpad running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4, with a VMWare session running Windows 2000 on the thinkpad, which has Frontpage 2000 editing a project I'm working, and Netscape 4.7 under Win2k, with an Exceed session to my K6-2 450 also running Slackware, and a telnet session to one of my Slackware boxes in Michigan, and one back to my workstation so I can listen to some Jane's Addiction. Take note of the Network Neighborhood that's buried under Netscape and FrontPage2000. You can't see them all, but there are 2 FreeBSD boxes, and 7 Linux boxes running samba. It's pretty huge, but, should give you an idea of what you can do with a decent XWindows desktop.

from here: http://www.dedserius.com/index.php3?curpage=kde

Releases = Stable code that will run efficiently enough to give it a public release, the developers are happy enough to let people use this as their main browser.

Nightly = a build that is released every single night (although sometimes actual changes are only made every 2 or 3 days) sometimes features are removed, some times they are added, these are production level builds and it's not 100% recommended to use them as your primary browser (even though I do ;) ) the official wording is
Nightly Builds
Created most weekdays from the previous day's work, these will probably work, but may not.

As for Slackware it's a distribution of Linux (Just like Lycors, RedHat and Mandrake)
Screenshots:
http://wardonx.orcon.net.nz/pix/snapshot2.png
http://www.linuxlots.com/~linuxbr/ss/r_linux-slackdesktop.png
http://www.linuxlots.com/~linuxbr/ss/misfit-slackdesktop.png

thank you to both of you, i understand it all now.

do you download the nightly every night? and do you just overwrite the same folder every night?

also, what is the latest nightly that is "most stable"?

I download them whenever I remember, which can be either once a week or five times a week, but they always tend to be stable, I've never had any crash on me, only one's with features missing.

I'm currently using 20030901 and it appears to have a small bug where you can't click the OK button on the options dialog (quite odd :) ) but other than that it's perfectly stable.

thanks, but do you just extract them to the same folder everytime?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back