Mozilla Browser

napalmnthemorning

OSNN Senior Addict
At the top of the Mozilla browser right now it says: XP-erience Forums-Post New Thread-Mozilla {Build ID: XXXXXXX}
Is there anyway to get rid of the build ID: it looks terrible there?

Is this a mozilla issue or something specifically we this forum?

I am not a Mozilla user myself..

Yes, there is. I followed the instructions below and it worked fine for me. The instructions are really for a unix system, but it works for windows - just look for the 'chrome' folder inside where you installed Mozilla, and use notepad instead of vi to edit the file. You'll also need to be able to extract files from a .jar - the Java SDK from Sun will give you what you need.

Removing Build ID from Mozilla Title Bar

I keep my Mozilla.app in /Applications/Internet Applications/Mozilla/ so you will need to consider where you keep your copy of Mozilla when following these instructions. Important: these instructions worked for me. I can't guarantee they will work for you.

1. Open Terminal.
2. Next type:
cd "/Applications/Internet Applications/Mozilla/Mozilla.app/Contents/MacOS/chrome" (or whatever the path to your mozilla install is - probably "Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\chrome")
3. Make a backup of the en-US.jar file:
cp en-US.jar en-US.jar.backup
4. Now you must unpack the en-US.jar file by typing:
jar -xf en-US.jar
5. Now type:
cd locale\en-US\navigator
6. Now edit the navigator-title.dtd file using notepad:
notepad navigator-title.dtd (if there is no navigator-title.dtd, look in navigator.dtd).
7. Remove both occurrences of {&buildId.label;} and save the file.
8. Now type:
cd ..\..\..
9. Repack the jar file:
jar -cf en-US.jar locale/
10. Quit Terminal and launch Mozilla.

If everything is working correctly, you can go back in and delete the backup copy of en-US.jar. If something got screwed up, restore the backup.

Don't make me hit you Hipster =)

DO NOT follow Dipsomaniac's directions... Those are for the Linux version of Mozilla and cannot be used for the Win32 build.

I tried a bugzilla search to no avail... i'll see around if there is a fix for this... but i don't think most people would consider this a bug =P

I LOVE this quote i saw while i was searching in Bugzilla

How to make COBOL a great language. Remove the OBOL

Wrong, bunny. I use the Windows version myself, and I've used the instructions to remove the build id - just like I said in the original post. It's just Java, for chrissake. In fact, Napalmnthemorni, if you're using Mozilla 1.0, I can attach the .jar file for you to drop in, since that's the only thing I've changed.

That'll work Dipsomaniac. I can send you an email or post the link to the file.. Its not that big of a deal i guess. I do like using IE and Mozilla both. Sometimes I just get bored of looking at the same old IE looking theme,.. Its so "fricken" boring, but it if more efficient to get around. Some of you guys like mozilla better and claim it is faster, but I haven't seen the difference. I'm using poxyconn and running at about 97029 pbs currently.. But I'd say Mozilla is slightly faster. Can anyone tell me why Mozilla graphics load slower? Anyone else have this occur. Again not a major issue, but I'd say about a 10 to 15 second delay in graphics display. Is this the Proxyconn. Speaking of, any comments on Proxyconn?

later..

Mozilla tends to get the whole page and display. Mozilla waits for the entire pic to download then displays it rather than showing you a fuzzy version of it (if the image supports it) and gradually getting clearer... less system resources required to display it when finished rather than having the picture redrawn 4 times

Originally posted by Dipsomaniac
Wrong, bunny. I use the Windows version myself, and I've used the instructions to remove the build id - just like I said in the original post. It's just Java, for chrissake. In fact, Napalmnthemorni, if you're using Mozilla 1.0, I can attach the .jar file for you to drop in, since that's the only thing I've changed.

yea can u please do that...

Apparently, I can't actually attach the file - it's too big. I'll see if I can find a place to put it up for download.

In Mozilla the pictures aren't fuzzy and then become clearer, they just appear slower after the page has opened up. In IE I just wait longer for entire page to open up with pictures up. It takes about the same time for both, but it appears Mozilla is faster because the page loads faster, then I wait for the picture!!!!!!!

Dipsomaniac I went into windows explorer and found my mozilla file and opened up C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\chrome and tried to open up en-US executible jar file, however I was unable to open? I looked for the notpad document but didn't see one. Where is the Build ID: # located? Is it in the en-US jar, if so I'd like to open it up and rip that Build ID# out!!! thanks tim

You have to use the jar tool out of the Sun SDK to extract files out of the .jar archive (the syntax is in my first post in this thread).

But if you want, you can grab en-US.jar from http://www3.sympatico.ca/mdesg/en-US.jar.

Just back up the one you've got and drop this one in, then restart Mozilla (including stopping the QuickLaunch app if you use it). If Mozilla doesn't work, restore the old file.

GREAT! thanks Dipsomaniac.... I'll give it a go and see what happens..

Oh yea, I have another similar question. With IE at the top of the browser I still have IE saying currently:

"XP-experience Forums-Reply to Topic-Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by AT&T WorldNet Service.. "

I don't use AT&T anymore,.. Any Ideas on how to get rid of this one.. :confused: :)

Dipsomaniac
I downloaded it and it closed! Didn't give me the option to place it anywhere.. Where did it go? I can't find it??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back