Moving Win2003Standard onto another drive?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I am working on a webserver with Win2003Standard/Apache/MySQL/PHP and other software installed.

The OS and Software are installed on a single drive, and the rest of the drives in the tower are in mirrored pairs.

The OS drive is now making noise and we are concerned that it is going to fail. I was thinking that I might create a 20gig partition on one of the mirrored pairs of drives, format it and move the OS/software over to that partition.

Can this be done?

What tools do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Based off your other thread, it appears you already have the question to your partitioning.

With regards to tools, anything like Ghost or Acronis can image the drive for you. Simply choose Disk to Partition and you'll be good to go. I personally use Ghost, but both work well.

Thanks,

you saw where I was heading with the first question on the other thread.....

Someone in the office told me that it was a simple copy'n'paste of the whole, lolol.

Thanks again,,,,

Heeter

I think if you marked your primary partition on your new raidset as active and bootable and then boot using a linux cd or something and mounting your old c: and your new c: and just a file copy *may* work.
Disable the old IDE interface (so windows cant access it, just for testing) after copying.
You maybe will need to repair the MBR but a quick google search should tell you the command to use while booting off you cd (windows that is, and using recovery console)
This is all theory though ;) generally I would just admit defeat and start with a clean wipe.
You may also be able to backup using windows backup and creating a bootfloppy with the ASR parts on it, then backup to a USB HD and try a low lvl restore using the floppy.
I have not tried this either though,

Good luck anyways :D

P.S. And remember to post if you get it to working using any method ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back