Moving from Linux to XP

Scooter

Random Apple Dude
Ok. Heres the deal.

I have a rrreealllyy old-ish machine (3 .. 4 years old). Presently I have the latest version of Ubuntu Linux on it.

I have a WinXP Pro CD for installing.

How do I make the move? I've tried holding down F5 / 6 / 8 / 11 on boot, but it always goes into Linux. :rolleyes:

Thanks
Scooter

First, you need to make sure that the CD-ROM drive is first in the boot priority list in the BIOS settings. You'll need to get into the BIOS to check this (the key depends on the specific BIOS you're using...it could be DEL, F1, F2 etc...it should show up as soon as you power on)

It seems like the hard disk has higher precedence than the CD drive right now. Move the CD drive higher up in the list, save the changes in the BIOS and reboot with the XP CD in the drive. Once the setup process starts, you can use the built-in tool to format the partition that currently holds Ubuntu.

edit - the computer has now totally died. as such i thankyou (all?) for your time but your help will no longer be required.

R.I.H you Windows scum sucking ass machine :dead: :rolleyes:

I think it was computercide. He new threatening a lifelong linux box with XP could be fatal. He should have had a paramedic team standing by.

Hey I wuz juz wondering....

I dont know if this thing I read was old skool and
now its changed but i remember reading somewhere
that in order to have windows and linux running
on the same machine, u have to install
windows first and then linux.

Or was it that we had to have two partitions
and the first had to be windows? In order
to have a dual boot the first had to be
FAT? Did I just confuse myself?

Err...anyone?

Windows has to installed first, it's very possessive over theMBR. The filesystem type is meaningless beyond that. I haveNTFS for WinXP and ext3 for my linux partitions on this box.

No, you do not need a seperate boot partition that is FAT32, nor do you have to install linux second. If Windows overwrites the MBR, you can use a live CD to either rerun lilo [or grub] and have it overwrite the MBR, and boot Windows via lilo, or use the live CD to install lilo onto your linux partition and use the NT loader to load linux.

True ^^
People just recommend installing Windows first and Linux second so that you can avoid having to use a LiveCD to overwrite the MBR for the second time.

I constantly see this, so it must be true, but in my experience, I've always had to use fixmbr or fdisk /mbr to rewrite the MBR after installing Windows over a linux install.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back