[Moview Review] Tron Legacy

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I watched this last week at the midnight showing in high-def/3-D. As with Avatar and some other recent movies, I HIGHLY recommend watching this in 3-D to get the full feel of the effects. The world within is entirely rendered in said format and really adds to the depth.

Additionally DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE TILL YOU HAVE WATCHED THE FIRST ONE !!!

The reason for this is self-evident throughout due to the various nuggets that tie the first movie to the second. While there are some brief flashbacks throughout, the lack of background will really rob from the depth of this movie.

Now for the actual review

The movie opens in a dynamic fashion, quick paced, lots of stuff happening, lots of details, lots of small easter-eggs. It doesn't delve in the past much and the brisk opening sequence continues into the next act. Overall a solid start with many characters introduced and lots of possibilities for the movie.

The 2nd and 3rd acts are where there are some issues, but then again I am very picky on some things. The plot meanders through many sub-plots but the overall feel of the 2nd and 3rd acts resemble the first movie greatly. This doesn't mean it's copied, but rather the mannerisms of the characters, the manner in which the dialog is dispensed and other items like that really lend themselves well. For a new TRON viewer, this may not be readily apparent and therefore YMMV for how much you like or dislike the movie.

The characters introduced pleased me greatly, but there is some very serious lack of character development in some areas. It almost feels like the movie was severely trimmed. I am not sure if this is the case, but that certainly netted a negative in my book.

The visuals. Well, this is what most are going to watch the movie for and let me tell you, you will not be disappointed. Both the real world and the other are rendered beautifully. I had a big smile on my face throughout because of the various tie-ins from the first movie to this one. The video game was a fantastic addition to the mythos of the world of TRON, but it doesn't play any part in this second movie.

The music. Fantastic. I am a huge fan of Daft Punk and their music really works with the theme of the movie. I am going to buy this album

The pacing. Overall, the pacing is uneven. There is no hiding the fact that some scenes were apparently removed in their entirety. However, at the end of the day, while it leads to the movie losing some of it's depth, it doesn't feel totally incomplete.

Overall, I had a good time and really enjoyed the movie

4/5 stars, but keep in mind, I was a HUGE fan of the original.

p.s. Green Lantern, Cars 2, Thor, Cowboys and Aliens. All of their trailers in 3D looked PHENOMENAL.

Now that movies are natively being shot in 3D instead of it being tacked on as a supplemental item, it is starting to really take off. If only the damn glasses were more comfortable.

I want to see this, as well as true Grit. Thanks for the review ..

Note: I didn't know there was a first one?

You didn't know about Tron?

:eek:

You HAVE to watch that before you watch Legacy simply because of all the easter-eggs and clue's (heh) to the sequel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back