[Movie Review] X-Men 3 - The Last Stand

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I'll update the first post with my review when I see the movie, tomorrow.

Tickets sitting comfortably in cyber-space :D Gotta love e-tickets :cool:

-edit-

Ok, my review :)

The movie is quite different the first 2, to be expected since Singer is not at the helm.

Ratner is an action movie kinda guy but I guess he left his character development skills at home. NONE of the characters are developed. We are just supposed to know crap about them.

This the movies BIGGEST flaw. That and the story is dodgy.

But, the characters that we know are back and they do an admirable job. Too little time on the screen for most, other than Wolverine (a nice setup for the spin-off franchise movie there buddy).

Everyone knows the Phoenix has arisen and they will either like or dislike this character.

The music is also low grade compared to the first 2 and again I think this is all on the director and his vision of the movie. There are some cool special effects and action sequences but where in the first 2 they were used rather sparingly, here it is everywhere and can get overwhelming.

What I did like about the movie was the way that the good v/s evil aspect was shown. Other than that, I was under-whelmed. It was however leaps and bounds better than the taped together travesty that was Star Wars Ep. III.

I give it a 3.5/5 OSNN rating. Worth a look but hardly a classic.

Btw, the BIGGEST redeeming quality of the movie (and the reason I bumped it up from a 3) is AFTER the credits.

Don't leave till AFTER the credits. There is like a 10-15 second clip that just rocked :smoker:

Last edited:
Thinkin of goin at midnight tonight, still debating it. You know, left brain right brain kinda thing. :s

gonaads said:
Thinkin of goin at midnight tonight, still debating it. You know, left brain right brain kinda thing. :s
I thought you pickled that, and left it up to a coin flip?

Sleep won the debate. Damn third party interference.

I'll go tomorrow. :s

We were planning to go for the midnight show too, but project deadlines have invariably been ending up on Fridays this quarter. Had to skip the opening show of Da Vinci Code for the same reason. =\

Will probably try going sometime next week...

I'm going to try and sneak in over the next week or so, hard to plan with my funky work schedule.

Anyone who posts anything without spoiler tags will be slapped severly :smoker:

Last edited:
Your funky word schedule?

Please tell me that's a typo. :p

*ahem*

*wishes mods could edit and not have the timestamps show* :p

If I remember I'm going to go see it sunday or monday :) I want to see what IGN were on about wrt Jean Grey going crazy :D

You mean the Phoenix?

:lick:

I'm going to update the first post with my review after tonite but my expectation is to see something along the lines of the comic.

I want to see Magneto have a grand farewell as in the comics :smoker:

i saw it.. To be honest i came away from it with a bit of a let down.. I mean it was good and all but.. I wanted it to be better.

3.5 out of 5 OSNN stars

BTW stay after credits there is 30 seconds of more footage.

Better than X-2.

Also I'm someone that has never followed the comics, so I guess I didn't have any real expectations. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

-reposting my review from the first post.

Ok, my review :)

The movie is quite different the first 2, to be expected since Singer is not at the helm.

Ratner is an action movie kinda guy but I guess he left his character development skills at home. NONE of the characters are developed. We are just supposed to know crap about them.

This the movies BIGGEST flaw. That and the story is dodgy.

But, the characters that we know are back and they do an admirable job. Too little time on the screen for most, other than Wolverine (a nice setup for the spin-off franchise movie there buddy).

Everyone knows the Phoenix has arisen and they will either like or dislike this character.

The music is also low grade compared to the first 2 and again I think this is all on the director and his vision of the movie. There are some cool special effects and action sequences but where in the first 2 they were used rather sparingly, here it is everywhere and can get overwhelming.

What I did like about the movie was the way that the good v/s evil aspect was shown. Other than that, I was under-whelmed. It was however leaps and bounds better than the taped together travesty that was Star Wars Ep. III.

I give it a 3.5/5 OSNN rating. Worth a look but hardly a classic.

Btw, the BIGGEST redeeming quality of the movie (and the reason I bumped it up from a 3) is AFTER the credits.

Don't leave till AFTER the credits. There is like a 10-15 second clip that just rocked :smoker:

Grandmaster said:
Better than X-2.

Also I'm someone that has never followed the comics, so I guess I didn't have any real expectations. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I completely disosciated myself from the comics for this because it had little to do with them.

I was let down because the character development was utter shyte.

Angel was there how often? And what the hell did we learn about him?

Compare that to Singer's development of the characters and the way the audience is moved.

The "killing" of Xavier was also handled poorly. Too much special effects.

If singer hadn't made him so sympathetic to the audiences, few people would have been moved much by his death. Hardly anyone was moved by Cyclops death. And what about Mystique? She was basically discarded after having being a most central character in the first 2.

Ratner needs to work on his development skills.

Good effects (especially the age effect in the beginning) but nothing else to go along with it. The characters come and go like its nothing. It also had two of the worst lines EVER uttered in any movie.

"I'm juggernaut b*tch"

"Who's running d*ckhead"

Quality work there gentlemen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back