[Movie Review] War of the Worlds *SPOILERS*

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
First movie I've seen on opening night since Star Wars. Excellent sci-fi film. Amazing visuals and effects. Tom Cruise can be pretty good, but his expressions have become very familiar and I'd have rather seen a lower-profile actor in his role. Definitely entertaining and worth seeing. I'll discuss it further when more people have seen it.

4/5 OSNN Stars

Re: [Movie Review] War of the Worlds

makes me want to see it muzikool, will take my dad with me

I saw it. Great effects but the use of voice overs to explain the beginning and the ending was a pathetic cop out. That pretty much it ruined the entire thing for me. Dakota Fanning is an amazing actress I must say and Tom did a good job of not being completely psychotic.

the voice overs, were a tribute to the Orson Welles broadcast in 1938. These were the same openeing lines he used.

falconguard said:
the voice overs, were a tribute to the Orson Welles broadcast in 1938. These were the same openeing lines he used.

I'm aware. It just didn't fit well with the movie. Since movies are visual and all. Voice over is a great tool if it's used throughout the movie but when it pops up to explain something they can't explain (or were too lazy to explain) during the actual film it detracts. A good example would be AI, that movie plays itself out and ends. It fades out and then comes back for a boring happy ending with a voice over explaining what was going on.

BouncingSoul said:
I saw it. Great effects but the use of voice overs to explain the beginning and the ending was a pathetic cop out. That pretty much it ruined the entire thing for me. Dakota Fanning is an amazing actress I must say and Tom did a good job of not being completely psychotic.

It's Morgan Freeman, though, and he is THE standard when it comes to narration. ;)

Besides it being a tribute to Orson Welles, I prefer the details of the outcome explained to me rather than Tom Cruise "stumbling" across it himself.

Oh! I get it! It must be little bacteria and other microscopic organisms infiltrating the bodies of the aliens! We are immune to these things after thousands of years, but they're not! Eventually they will all die and the world will be ours again!

:p

I'd love to see this but I just can't bare to watch anything starring Tom Cruise,he just bores me to tears.
He's always Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise :speechless:

Evil Marge said:
I'd love to see this but I just can't bare to watch anything starring Tom Cruise,he just bores me to tears.
He's always Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise :speechless:

Agreed. I miss Maverick - his only entertaining character.

Interview with the Vampire

Lestat

I actually saw this again last night with some of my family. Just as enjoyable the second time around... and still intense. :)

Upgraded, for being that good the second time.
-- 4.5/5 OSNN Stars

Just saw it tonight. It was good... tbh, the voice over at the end didn't really bother me. They did get it from Wells, and I would have to go back and see the earlier movie, but I think mention to the bacteria was made in the earlier War of the Worlds movie as well, though exactly how it was worked in there I'm only half remembering now...

My father has it on VHS, but I live 2,300 miles away, so I can't easily check the tape again unless I were to rent it or something...

BTW, I think that one dude in the basement was fricken nuts... That might have fit the book however, something I'd have to check for myself to be sure...

Last edited:
Decent flick, Dakota Fanning drove me nuts with her incessant screeching. I can understand a scream here and there but for crying out loud, she had me cringing by the end of the movie :eek:

Tim Robbins and Tom Cruise both did good jobs. Tom Cruise especially. I don't think he gets enough credit and with the media making him their latest scape goat he's gotten a really bad rap lately but he did a perfect job of playing a role which was just your everyday man. No super heroic actions or anything of the sort that any other man on the street might take.

A well balanced movie. The ending was a bit on the quick side (a la Jurasic Park) but the movie was pretty good, especially the 90% in the middle.

3.5/5 OSNN stars.

Finally saw it yesterday, and I was impressed. Grandmaster said it best: INTENSE!

The voiceover issue didn't bother me, but was I the only one who was wondering why the digital camera and video camera were working after they made such a big production over the fact that the electromagentic-whatever knocked out everything with a battery, including Tom Cruise's watch?

joyojoy said:
Finally saw it yesterday, and I was impressed. Grandmaster said it best: INTENSE!

The voiceover issue didn't bother me, but was I the only one who was wondering why the digital camera and video camera were working after they made such a big production over the fact that the electromagentic-whatever knocked out everything with a battery, including Tom Cruise's watch?

I noticed that as well and the only explanation I could think of was that they put more batteries in after everything went down.

By the way... saw it again this weekend with someone else who hadn't seen it yet. Probably a bit of overkill to see it 3 times in 4 days, but this third time it was on a DLP screen with amazing sound. :)

3/5

The little girls incessant screaming, and the boy?
It was very intense, but the screaming, and the stupid boy.
I would have loved this movie, except the screaming, and the stupid boy.

Oh yeah, and the "my space" BS. Knock the kids out with a bat, and the movie woulda ruled. But the screaming.........

lol that girl scremed on jay leno... god she has lungs. hehe 3.5/5 seemed just to end.. dint like that much allthough i love how it ended.

Wow, it seems as if I am on my own when I say that I wasn't really a fan of it. I think it went from one extreme (total annihilation) to another (they just lost the power of shields). Granted, it was Sci-Fi, but almost too unrealistic.

I agree with Steevo though, F that my space stuff, knock the kid out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back