[Movie Review] War of the Worlds *SPOILERS*

kcnychief said:
Wow, it seems as if I am on my own when I say that I wasn't really a fan of it. I think it went from one extreme (total annihilation) to another (they just lost the power of shields). Granted, it was Sci-Fi, but almost too unrealistic.

I agree with Steevo though, F that my space stuff, knock the kid out :)

To say they just lost the power of shields makes it a bit too simplistic... that was one effect that caused them to lose.

the ending makes sence and is not unrealistic. Look at how the pilgrims gave the indians small pox. Wiped out thousands of indians from blankets with a diesease that they had no immunity. Why is that so unrealisitc?

celticfan11 said:
the ending makes sence and is not unrealistic. Look at how the pilgrims gave the indians small pox. Wiped out thousands of indians from blankets with a diesease that they had no immunity. Why is that so unrealisitc?

LOL, I don't know if you are BS'ing or actually telling the truth :)

I dont know, it just seemed odd that it was such a flip of the switch.

yes it was and i wasa fan of that. I just donmt like how the rushed into it. like it just ahppend no explaining it hehe. Plus i wanted to see them spray some more blood. hehe

kcnychief said:
LOL, I don't know if you are BS'ing or actually telling the truth :)

I dont know, it just seemed odd that it was such a flip of the switch.

That really did happen to some of the Native Americans.

It might have seemed abrupt, but that's probably because none of the characters "figured it out" on their own. Like I said before, it's not like Tom Cruise could have realized all of a sudden that the aliens were getting sick and dying -- talk about unrealistic ;)

muzikool said:
That really did happen to some of the Native Americans.

It might have seemed abrupt, but that's probably because none of the characters "figured it out" on their own. Like I said before, it's not like Tom Cruise could have realized all of a sudden that the aliens were getting sick and dying -- talk about unrealistic ;)

You don't know about alien physiology. Tom Cruise does.

:cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

eeh..... honestly i didn't like the movie at all. for one, not much of the crap that went on was explained. like the red crap that was all over....... wtf was it? Was it their food..... was it something to produce whatever air they may breathe......... were they just trying to terraform earth to their liking? There was pretty much no background to anybody or anything that was in the movie. the action started WAY too quick, and ended just the same. I mean..... who wants to sit through a movie nearly 2 hours long (i think), just to watch everything that invaded the planet die within 5 minutes? The only thing the movie really had going for it was the effects. Like when the people were getting vaporized (though before they actually vanished, it kinda looked like something you'd seen in The Mummy). Another thing i didn't like...... it just proved how stupid humanity can be. like when the huge crowd was trying to get into their car..... then they got into the car after Tom crashed it into the telephone pole...... just to have the people that just got into the car be shot by the idiot that grabbed Tom's gun. Hell, i didn't even watch that part. made me godawful sad, and not in the "aaw, why'd they have to take his car" kinda way...... more like the "Humanity can bite me" kinda way.

Glad i got to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too for $6 (gotta love drive-in theaters). i rather liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, except for the fact that i guess it was made after the book, and not a remake of the old movie.

Sazar said:
You don't know about alien physiology. Tom Cruise does.

:cool:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

:laugh:

Yeah, Cruise had the knowledge beamed down to his brain from "the mother ship". :D

ElementalDragon said:
eeh..... honestly i didn't like the movie at all. for one, not much of the crap that went on was explained. like the red crap that was all over....... wtf was it? Was it their food..... was it something to produce whatever air they may breathe......... were they just trying to terraform earth to their liking? There was pretty much no background to anybody or anything that was in the movie. the action started WAY too quick, and ended just the same. I mean..... who wants to sit through a movie nearly 2 hours long (i think), just to watch everything that invaded the planet die within 5 minutes? The only thing the movie really had going for it was the effects. Like when the people were getting vaporized (though before they actually vanished, it kinda looked like something you'd seen in The Mummy). Another thing i didn't like...... it just proved how stupid humanity can be. like when the huge crowd was trying to get into their car..... then they got into the car after Tom crashed it into the telephone pole...... just to have the people that just got into the car be shot by the idiot that grabbed Tom's gun. Hell, i didn't even watch that part. made me godawful sad, and not in the "aaw, why'd they have to take his car" kinda way...... more like the "Humanity can bite me" kinda way.

Glad i got to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too for $6 (gotta love drive-in theaters). i rather liked Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, except for the fact that i guess it was made after the book, and not a remake of the old movie.

i agree with you on basically everything. the movie was rreally quick and had lots of questions left behind such as the red vines growing around. also, i saw charlie and the choc factory and i liked it as well!!!

There is a problem with wanting to know the details of the red vines or how the aliens got sick -- no character could realistically figure that out without it cheapening the movie. Like I've said, it would have been stupid for Tom Cruise to figure it out, and it's not like he would coincidentally cross paths with some character who studied alien life forms and understood their ways!

Good films don't always answer all of your questions. Morgan Freeman's narration was enough to explain what happened, but not too detailed to cheapen the effect. Also, Spielberg probably assumed that many people seeing the film had already read the story, heard the radio broadcast or knew the details of what happened.

Overall, the story is a race against time. It's a race for the aliens to destroy as much life as possible before they die. It's a race for the humans to survive until the aliens die. Sorry there were no Independence Day-like battles taking down alien ships. :rolleyes:

they could have easily explained what the red vines were, and the aliens probably didn't get sick, they probably just ran out of food. They could have explained the red vines at the end when Morgan Freeman was talking...... like "In the end, it was germs that killed off the aliens by destroying their food source, the red vines." or something like that. i mean, i kinda know that's what the red vines were used for..... but i like ACTUALLY knowing it.

sheesh, hasn't anybody ever heard of Kudzu?

This is and was HG Wells' point, non-native flora or fauna introduced into another environment could conceivably take over a local ecosystem.

Actually, the part of them getting sick from the bacteria on this planet, is true to form with the original story line that HG Wells envisioned...

As to the red vines, I posted a blurb about this on another forum... Actually it looks like someone else posted the link and I extracted an excerpt from it :)

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/asullivan00/worlds21.html

Son Goku said:
Saw it tonight. It was good... Anyhow, about the vegitation, here was my thinking, which sorta fits in with the link :D

"Apparently, the vegetable kingdom on Mars instead of having green for a dominant color is of a vivid blood red tint," Wells wrote. "At any rate, the seeds which Martians (intentionally or accidentally [sic]) brought with them gave rise in all cases to red colored growths. Only that - known popularly-as red weed, however, gained any footing in the competition with terrestrial forms."

...The red weed like the aliens, however, seems determined to put roots down on earth in the effort to transform the conditions here to suit the aliens.

Basically, I was thinking, when I saw this that the vegitation was there as some form of teraforming. Thing about what would happen if we were to go to Mars for instance. We need oxygen, the atmosphere of that planet doesn't have it in abundence. (Heck Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere, period.) What's the first thing we'd have to do to collonize it? Teraform it's surface, and make the atmosphere suitable for us to breath.

It's not inconceivable we might try to transpose Earth based plants there, to help with oxygen production, assuming the other stuff (aka water) is available to help water them, and help them grow...

As such, I was thinking much the same, alien vegitation that could help with the teraforming of the planet to what they would need to survive...

ElementalDragon said:
they could have easily explained what the red vines were, and the aliens probably didn't get sick, they probably just ran out of food. They could have explained the red vines at the end when Morgan Freeman was talking...... like "In the end, it was germs that killed off the aliens by destroying their food source, the red vines." or something like that. i mean, i kinda know that's what the red vines were used for..... but i like ACTUALLY knowing it.

Sorry, but the aliens did get sick and that was explained in the closing narration. I can't quote it verbatim, but it stated that we (humans), through living for thousands of years on Earth, earned our ability to survive the millions of organisms that inhabit the planet. The aliens had no built-up defense, so "as soon as they began to eat our food and drink our water, they were doomed."

didn't like the movie, had a hard time sitting through it...thought Tc was awful, hated the screaming girl and the idiot son...another disappointment from Spielberg in my book

there were far too many obvious technical issues...first one to comment on I guess would be the van;...a "solenoid" fixed the friggin van?

no...all the solenoid does is throw the starter gear into the flywheel and then pull it out when you release the starter switch (turning the key to start the car)

they could have come up with something much more feasible in a second...for instance a cage that isn't completed yet...especially to be added would be the harness (main electric artery in a car)...and the battery, which would have to have had no acid in the cells until Tc would add when he got there

the digital camera of course an obvious problem...tons of others too...I had a hard time getting a good look at the "omega" watch but it looked to me like an old automatic not quartze...not sure about that

as far as the end which worked fine in the original but it doesn't fly in this one at all due to the set up of this one.

this plot, the aliens came here eons ago and seeded the planet for future harvest...like there were no microbes when they seeded the planet, like this is the first planet they have seeded or no other other planet they have seeded had microbes...earth is the only planet with microbes?

like they didn't prepare or know about immunity issues?

and the force Field going down because they got sick?

how does getting sick affect the force Field?..sure they could write something in there to show why that would happen, but they need to make some kind of accomdation to explain that

also I liked the original scene showing an atomic bomb having no affect on the force feild...sad to see that left out of this remake

I give this 3 out of 10 stars...one for affect, one for action and one because everyone else here seemed to like the flick

Last edited:
When did we move to a 10-star rating??? :p

I guess that's 1.5/5? ;)

He's been infected with the IMDB virus :D

Must bring him back to the fold before the evil aliens get him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back