[Movie Review] The Simpsons Movie

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I am a casual Simpsons fan at best :)

I find the show entertaining and it certainly has staying power but, in my opinion, it has been surpassed by 3 other shows. South Park, Family Guy and Futurama.

I was however, really looking forward to seeing what direction they would go with the movie. Whether they would produce a classic like South Park - Bigger, Longer, Uncut or define their presence another way.

The movie itself is quite short and very simple. The length is almost abrupt considering the actual story-lines available (and there are many). Almost all the characters are present in some capacity but only a few actually say anything, which was a crying shame.

The animation is a hell of a lot better than the show, but that doesn't really do much for the actual situations. Like I said, the premise is very simple and the conclusion is very logical. It's like watching a long, very average, Simpsons episode.

I am sure the movie will continue to rake in money, a lot like the turds that were Spiderman 3 and Shrek the Third have done and it is certainly amusing in many portions. But considering the lineage, it's as if the Transformers movie were released with the blocky characters and concentrated solely on Megatron and Optimus Prime with a couple of side distractions for each and finished with a "oh, well I guess we'll end this then" sort of feel at the end.

Watch it, it's entertaining, but it was a huge disappointment compared to what it COULD and, more importantly, SHOULD have been. Simpsons didn't get to where they are now in the American Psyche by pussy-footing around.

3.5/5 OSNN stars.

Re: [Moview Review] The Simpsons Movie

M'mmm, Whopper!

spider-pig.. spider-pig.. does whatever a spider-pig does!

spider-pig.. spider-pig.. does whatever a spider-pig does!

You mean Harry Plopper? or Pooper?

Think the movie could have been a bit longer. But I enjoyed watching what there was to watch. :)

I saw his Doodle! :eek: Hah hah, hah hah, hah hah, hah hah... Story line was good due to the fact that the ramifications of the action put the entire family to the test. Not like in the show where it always gets played off. Not your typical "The Simpsons" fashion.

As for length, if you went into this thinking that they would actually make this movie run 2 hours or even 1 hour 45... hah hah, hah hah, hah hah :p errr NO. I was ready for a shortish film. What I enjoyed the most was how they got a bit more "free" with the dialog, visuals and the hand gestures. :rolleyes: Also the mixing of other movie bits. How they actually showed the inside of the church when they go to church and what they do, or don't do. What Lisa does as to her annoying "save this and save that" mode. And Maggie, the only intelligent one of the bunch. Yeah.

Also
the ticker commercial was quite funny

The Flanders confession and Homer's wish as to this confession was great.

I give it 4 of 5 OSNN Stars. It was pure enjoyment, anything but average. Too many things you will never see or hear on the TV show. :D

Plus this only tickles our interest for...
As Maggie said uttering her first spoken words, "Sequel?"

Last edited:
Didn't expect it to be 5hrs long but the movie itself FELT short.

300 was short but didn't feel short. Gandhi was long but it didn't feel long.

Cheers

Well to me the movie did not feel short, as in passing of time. An hour and a half is an hour and a half. But then your mileage may vary. ;)

BTW: 300 short? It was 2 hours, actually 1 hour 57 mins. Just a bit above average for a movie (most modern movies are 1 hour 45 mins. to 1 hour 50 mins. with a few pushing the 2 hour mark). To me it didn't feel short at all. Not long either. Now Gandhi was an uncomfortable 3 hours and change. And I don't care how good a movie is if it's over 3 hours it better have at least 50 to 60% action. But that's just me. The Passion of the Christ was 2 hours and 6 mins. but it had action. Well, uncomfortable action if you wish to call it that.

Cheerio

Last edited:
Well to me the movie did not feel short, as in passing of time. An hour and a half is an hour and a half. But then your mileage may vary. ;)

BTW: 300 short? It was 2 hours, actually 1 hour 57 mins. Just a bit above average for a movie (most modern movies are 1 hour 45 mins. to 1 hour 50 mins. with a few pushing the 2 hour mark). To me it didn't feel short at all. Not long either. Now Gandhi was an uncomfortable 3 hours and change. And I don't care how good a movie is if it's over 3 hours it better have at least 50 to 60% action. But that's just me. The Passion of the Christ was 2 hours and 6 mins. but it had action. Well, uncomfortable action if you wish to call it that.

Cheerio

Bleh. Simpsons fanboi :smoker:

Wasn't a bad movie, like I said :)

But settling is never a good option. It's hit or miss. For me, it was a clear miss. South Park didnt settle and they didn't have even close to the mileage Simpsons has.

Wrt short, I say that simply because of the abruptness of the movie. Stretch it you need to or have good pacing through and through. Don't stuff filler in there and then chop it off at the end. Remember the first Jurasic Park. All that build-up, the dinosaurs and then BLAM, T-rex eats Raptor, rescue by chopper, movie over.

300 was relatively short for the story but again it was well-paced throughout.

I am perhaps being overly critical of the movie, but I don't pander :) And with regards to it being average, there are far superior single episodes of the show to the movie. Ergo it can only be termed average. There are plenty of terrible episodes too, much like Family Guy in season 4 but this is hardly one of those.

And that pig was perhaps the star of the movie. Stole all the scenes he was in ;)

Bleh. Simpsons fanboi :smoker:

Yes I am. :D Ya Gandhi lover. :p

But I will crap on it if it doesn't live up to the show.

And that pig was perhaps the star of the movie. Stole all the scenes he was in ;)

Aaaa, but what happened to the Pig? With everyone in town needing food, did they eat him? Did he fall into the lake and turn into some mutated oinker? Hmmmmm. :)

Oh, Family Guy sucks! *runs*

Exactly my point about the pig.

So many things were introduced and then left alone.

Family guy > Simpsons.

Ergo if Family Guy sucks, Simpsons blows donkey balls.

Family guy > Simpsons.

Ergo if Family Guy sucks, Simpsons blows donkey balls.

Get your facts straight, they were spider pig balls. And as for Fuuky Gay (aka Family Guy), it still sucks, it blows... it blows Sazar's balls. :p

*runs*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back