[Movie Review] The Bourne Ultimatum

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
What can I say about this movie, a "Trilogy" ender (we think), and an action spy drama that hasn't been said before? ALOT. This movie has everything. A plot, plot twists and turns that will get you dizzy but not too badly. Action... Ooooh the action. Wow.

The movie starts off where The Bourne Supremacy ends. Actually it is the ending of the second movie that begins this movie. Bourne is shot and bloodied and pretty banged up. And it unfolds from there. Many of you that have seen both previous movies and remember the ending of the second movie will like the way the beginning shows how he continues on. You will also say WTF, what happened to his conversation with Pamela Landy? just watch the movie. All unfolds for everyone to see.

The physical action in this movie is like the first two movies, only better. The same camera work with that "in your face" action sequences. You feel like you are in the action. The realism of it is mind boggling. The damage inflicted is believable to the point of down right scary. You don't get all dizzy from everything going on. It's filmed in such a way that you are immersed in it but the focus is so on that you see everything, punch(s), kick(s), body slams, stabs, slaps. gun play, everything.

The chase scenes are so well orchestrated along with the crashes and aftermath, and it's believable. First you think that there's no way. But then you see what is transpiring and then the outcome and you think, wow, he/they are all banged up and bloodied yet they servived. Then you realize all the damage to them and in a real world they are supposed to be trained military machines of sorts. They are trained to work through the injuries and bloody pain and continue on. He/They limp/crawl away but refocus on what they are doing and it continues. Again the same "in your face" camera work is done for these great chase and crash scenes.

Oh, the story line. Sorry I almost forgot. :nervous: The story line is very plausible showing how Bourne is still having his flashbacks that give him more pieces to this very twisted puzzle. The characters involved in this whole "Black Ops" creation and the subsequent aftermath and other "Ops" show that this is much bigger than we first were lead to believe. No not all of the characters are fully... what's the word... matured. Meaning, you see them and know they are involved in a big way but alas they don't offer enough background as to their involvement. Some of Bourne's flashbacks do give insight to these characters. But only a select few get full development, well as fully as they want us to see. Nicky (Julia Stiles' character) plays a bigger part in this (but it is still reserved) but they leave a big question mark as to what involvement did she really have with Bourne at the very beginning of Treadstone. They touch on some of it in a long scene sequence between Bourne and Nicky, they tease us to where we think we will get more... but I'm not telling. :D Could it be some fuel for another movie? That's a stretch. Or may. Only time will tell. These character development imperfections are (to me anyway) the only drawback of the movie. The movie is serious eye candy for action movie goers. No "out there" CGI, just good old fashioned action. The plot is easy enough to follow and then when you think you know enough they throw twists and some pretty good conclusions.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5 OSNN Stars. I would have given it the full 5 if it wasn't for the character imperfections.

A must go see for all, but you need to have seen the first 2 movies. Remember, it's a continuation. Otherwise, what's the point. :D

Last edited:
Tried to see it,
It was sold out.
This is the first time in a year I have ever been sold out on a movie...
I went at 10:15 too...
thought nobody would be there, or at least, not everybody.
Saw the simpson's movie.
Uggg.

I have to say, when I saw the first movie, I was severely turned off to the whole movie series. My mistake was reading the book first (Bourne identity) which was a phenominal book. The first movie tried to follow it too closely and left out SERIOUS plot lines and ended up being a mess in my view based on the books. The second movie didn't seem to try to follow the book as much and it was a better movie (IMHO) because of it. But that first movie left such a sour taste in my mouth I just haven't been able to get into the movies.

I think, had I not read the books, I would have enjoyed the movies much more.

I have to say, when I saw the first movie, I was severely turned off to the whole movie series. My mistake was reading the book first (Bourne identity) which was a phenominal book. The first movie tried to follow it too closely and left out SERIOUS plot lines and ended up being a mess in my view based on the books. The second movie didn't seem to try to follow the book as much and it was a better movie (IMHO) because of it. But that first movie left such a sour taste in my mouth I just haven't been able to get into the movies.

I think, had I not read the books, I would have enjoyed the movies much more.

Well it's been a while since the first movie came out. Maybe rent the DVD(s) and watch the first and second films. As by now the aftertaste of the book has faded (we hope, unless you read it every few months. :p). Then go out and see this one. You may have a different outlook.

I want to see this very badly. I think I'm going to re-watch the first two for a refresher course first :)

yeah, what fitz said, I read the first and second books before seeing the films which really detracted from the film experience. I've seen each of them since and by themselves completely separate from the books they are pretty good films.

Books are at the very least 10 times better than the films though. I am not going to read the last book before watching the film though. Not that it would matter by the end of the first film the two plot lines are exceedingly diverse.

Just got back from watching it a little while ago.
Loved it! Man, it was intense. :D

Watched it last night.

Good movie, much better than the 2nd but still not quite as good as the original :)

The action didn't involve as much MTV chop sequences as the second, but it was still not as continuous and smooth as the first. The chase scenes were likewise very chopped up, but not as bad as the second movie.

There were, a la POTC 3, a LOT of allusions to events from the first 2 and it was quite a pleasure to note :)

The story stretched a little more than the 2nd (and a LOT more than the first). The sinister nature of some characters simply wasn't as "sinister" as that from the first and second in my opinion.

I thought Julia Stiles was SMOKING hot in this one :D

Franke Potente was hot in Run Lola Run, but Julia Stiles just had something about her in this one :)

Good movie, solid entertainment, easily the best of the third's released this year.

:D

4/5 OSNN stars.

Why does every one seem to be thinking the more camera shake the better?

4/5 Good movie, Julia Stiles is HOT, specially with short dark hair. But too many flashbacks.

They aren't going to create a 4th out of the series called Bourne Again?

Sorry, had to drop in that bad gag :D

Everyone and Julia Stiles. :p Yeah she is... But as I posted doesn't it leave an odd felling about her character's prior interaction with Bourne with all that at the dinner/coffee shop? Now was this professional or personal combined with emotional? The looks Nicky gives Bourne while they are conversing give the impressions of much much more.

Plus, she doesn't give him up when she is asked to "code in."

They aren't going to create a 4th out of the series called Bourne Again?

Sorry, had to drop in that bad gag :D

There are 5 total books.

3 were in the original trilogy. The other 2 were written by someone else and come nowhere close to the original trilogy in terms of flow.

Either way, it's not like the movies and the books have much in common anyways.

Well, from what I've heard is that Matt Damon will only do a 4th Bourne movie if Paul Greengrass directs it. And at the moment, there are no plans for a 4th. They are saying the series is done. But who knows. With a 70 million dollar opening weekend, it's tough to turn your backs on the cash cow of your life. As far as I can think of, Matt Damon will not be in any more series movies that are this big again. I think they've done an outstanding job with all of the movies making them believable, action packed, and have not ruined a thing. I definitely plan on buying the 3rd movie when it comes out or maybe even replacing the first 2 movies that I have when a trilogy set comes out.

Oceans 14?

:)

Matt Damon is a solid actor. His range is not as wide as some others but he does very well with the roles he is given and he has very expressive eyes.

Bourne is a very tortured super-assassin and he was the perfect person to play it.

Unlike Spidey, Shrek and some of the other trifecta laughers this year, Bourne is one that can definitely continue.

And, considering that the books have the character aging as well, it would certainly not be out of the realm of possibility.

Perhaps.

Btw, Bourne pwned da Simpsons.

Had it been a Futurama or Family Guy or South Park movie, not so sure. But Simpsons got served a facial.

Perhaps.

Btw, Bourne pwned da Simpsons.

Had it been a Futurama or Family Guy or South Park movie, not so sure. But Simpsons got served a facial.

Sazar, you are an ass. You need a damn facial. Go lay under a goat. :p

But don't you remember at the beginning of the Simpsons Movie. Homer got up in the theater that they were at and bitched about paying to go see something they could see on TV for free? And that everyone in the theater is a sucker for paying... especially YOU. :p

Oh, I saw it for free. Both movies. :D

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back