[Movie Review] Superman Returns

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I'm surprised we don't have a dedicated thread to this movie.

Given how badly the Xmen franchise ended with Ratner at the helm, I have a new-found respect for the work that Singer did and I am looking forward to Superman Returns because of him and him alone :)

(ok ok, Kevin Spacey rocks).

-edit- updated with review below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pwm8-d_Los http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HAv5AZzdTU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDJSQNlIn4k http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vgcm9htb9I

I watched the movie just tonite. Was feeling lousy because of some personal things and wanted to get out and just get my mind off things.

Fwiw, I am glad I did.

As those who read my reviews and thoughts on X-Men 3, you will know that I hold Bryan Singer in high regard when it comes to movies in this genre. He has proven himself often enough.

Anyways, one word sums up the entire movie, NOSTALGIA.

I felt nostalgic the whole way through because of the introduction and Brandon Routh. He's not an oscar calibre actor, yet, but he did a fabulous job in bringing Christopher Reeves' Superman to life. And boy how

The music is an updated version of the original score and is the first thing that introduces us to the movie. Also, the opening sequence is straight out of Superman, the Movie so it's pretty safe to say that if you have seen that movie (which most people have) than you will clearly recognise this.

The story is not the big thing here, there is a story and it is relatively solid but also predictable. This is as much intended as formula. A lot of the movie is INTENDED to be that way and you can tell from the various moments that directly tie back to the original and Superman 2. I KNOW some of you will have a "whaaaaat???!?!?!?!!" moment after about the 2/3rds mark but, I beg you, fallback to Superman 2 and you will have a better understanding of the events

The acting was pretty solid, the pacing was on and off but typically only slowing down for more character development. Bryan Singer did an excellent job building up the characters and providing a solid story arc for all of them, kudo's.

You can also see where the approx 240 million bucks went to, the sets are fabulous and the special effects are tremendous, even with the throwback theme.

I give this movie a 4/5 OSNN stars, 3.5 would be my pure score but because of how Christopher Reeves is brought back and Superman, the Movie is remembered and revered.

I will go over some of the flaws of the movie later, after some more people have seen it. Personally, I recommend this flick for the long weekend coming up.

Last edited:
Re: Superman Returns

Does no one have any original ideas anymore? Somebody must end this mish mash of sequels,remakes and whatever the hell else :rolleyes:

Well, look at it this way. The comics were not just one edition or one book.

This is a unique take on the Superman aspect and like I said, bryan singer is an amazing director. He worked wonders with the first 2 x-men movies and I have a feeling he will infuse some much needed life into teh man of steel franchise :)

I can remember going to see the original Superman The Movie when it was first released way back in 1978 with my dad,my brother and a few mates.
Christopher Reeve is Superman and always will be in my eyes :D

And thats why Brandon Routh used his mannerisms in this movie.

:smoker:

I have always liked Superman, who hasen't, but I don't seem to intriged to go and see this movie. I wan't something new in away, not the same story redone. Continue it, change it, I dunno.

It's not redone.

It is effectively going to be like Superman 3, after the first 2.

Naturally he is going to set it up with elements from the first movie but thats the best way to flesh out the character.

Here's hoping its good! Gotta be better than X3. Right?

Isn't this movie starting when he gets to earth? or what not..

Well, it should begin much like Superman 1 but then he leaves and then he returns, hence the name.

Did none of y'all watch any of the promos I posted?

watched some, didn't really listen to it

I saw the trailer for it while watching X-3 the other day. Looks superb :) Love the retro look it's got.

Grandmaster said:
I saw the trailer for it while watching X-3 the other day. Looks superb :) Love the retro look it's got.
Agreed. I'm looking forward to this one. :)

Re: [Movie Review pending] Superman Returns

I watched the movie just tonite. Was feeling lousy because of some personal things and wanted to get out and just get my mind off things.

Fwiw, I am glad I did.

As those who read my reviews and thoughts on X-Men 3, you will know that I hold Bryan Singer in high regard when it comes to movies in this genre. He has proven himself often enough.

Anyways, one word sums up the entire movie, NOSTALGIA.

I felt nostalgic the whole way through because of the introduction and Brandon Routh. He's not an oscar calibre actor, yet, but he did a fabulous job in bringing Christopher Reeves' Superman to life. And boy how :D

The music is an updated version of the original score and is the first thing that introduces us to the movie. Also, the opening sequence is straight out of Superman, the Movie so it's pretty safe to say that if you have seen that movie (which most people have) than you will clearly recognise this.

The story is not the big thing here, there is a story and it is relatively solid but also predictable. This is as much intended as formula. A lot of the movie is INTENDED to be that way and you can tell from the various moments that directly tie back to the original and Superman 2. I KNOW some of you will have a "whaaaaat???!?!?!?!!" moment after about the 2/3rds mark but, I beg you, fallback to Superman 2 and you will have a better understanding of the events :)

The acting was pretty solid, the pacing was on and off but typically only slowing down for more character development. Bryan Singer did an excellent job building up the characters and providing a solid story arc for all of them, kudo's.

You can also see where the approx 240 million bucks went to, the sets are fabulous and the special effects are tremendous, even with the throwback theme.

I give this movie a 4/5 OSNN stars, 3.5 would be my pure score but because of how Christopher Reeves is brought back and Superman, the Movie is remembered and revered.

I will go over some of the flaws of the movie later, after some more people have seen it. Personally, I recommend this flick for the long weekend coming up.

I have heard it's getting GREAT reviews from a lot of people in the media as well, can't wait to see it :D

Definitely recommended, especially if you've seen Superman the Movie and Superman II.

If there is an Imax near you thats showing, watch it there.

We won't have it here till around August and I am going again just for that.

HOLY CROW BATMAN!

I can't believe there's an imax 3 d...now I might not see it tonight so I can see it on Imax

DAMN you netryder
Yeah, it was all sold out in the IMAX theaters around here, so we're just going tomorrow rather than watching the regular version today.

Finally got around to watching this movie tonight, was rather phenomenal.

Thought it was a bit weird in some parts though, like the random "gang ass kicking" he received. Superman never really got violent like that in anything I had ever seen - meh, just didn't really seem to fit IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back