[Movie Review] Kung Fu Hustle

Sazar

Rest In Peace
I have watched Chow's flicks for a while, the last being Shaolin Soccer.

Hustle follows the theme of unlikely heroes in uncommon situations emerging and helping the weak or standing up for themselves or otherwise.

And normally when they come forth, they also find something about themselves.

Hustle is Kurosawa-esque with a lot of twists. The english subs really add something to the movie with some brilliant one-liners from Spiderman and other movies tossed in.

The movie is, like Soccer, a comedic Kung Fu movie. I was disappointed that there were no extended dance sequences but I loved the character creation and organisation that Chow has here. The budget (and therefore the SFx) are a lot better for him to unleash his full repertoire and the end result is a pleasing movie.

After the debacle that was Kingdom of Heaven, I was pleasantly surprised that such a lower budgeted movie not only could look better in most respects but also outperform the much higher budgeted movie in a few other respects.

If you have a chance to watch this movie, please do so. It does involve martial arts but it is not the pervasive theme, much like Soccer, so the ladies do not need to shy away from this one.

Highly recommended entertainment movie.

4.5/5 OSNN Stars.

Haha...watched this when I was up in Seattle last week. Hilarious movie!
rofl.gif

Got this on DVD a while ago. It is very funny, not as funny as Shaolin imo, although it's more traditional in that its people fighting people and not using a football. The action is excellent and OTT as usual, which is fun and the CG is pretty damn superb.
Well recommended

Shaolin was cool but did not have that poignant moment where the main character meets the girl. It was close, but no cigar.

I thought that was an excellent touch.

Hilarous movie, loved every bit of it. Oddly enough, my favourite scene was the dancing mafia group near the beginning...just found it too odd to not be my favourite overall scene :)

Yah, I was actually hoping for more Hustle action going on but unfortunately that was it :(

Still, perhaps they might make a sequel.

i just loved the movie. one question i have though is.... does anybody know the name of the instrument the "second best killers" use?

In India, they have something like that called a Sitar.

It looked like a Guzheng or Zheng, my grandparents used to play one a long time ago, but I'm not too sure.

Sazar: no.... don't think it's a Sitar. they usually keep the same general shape of a normal guitar.... wide base, and a narrow neck (only reason i can think of that is because of one of my favorite cartoons EVER..... Courage the Cowardly Dog)

onimkron: know of anywhere i can possibly find music played with that instrument? i SOOOO want one.... but i wouldn't know how to play it. that thing seems like it can play some awesome notes.

Sazar said:
In India, they have something like that called a Sitar.
The sitar actually looks very different. Are you sure you're not thinking of the santoor or surmandal?

I want to see this movie cause it reminds me of Kung Pow for some reason lol.

Which reminds me...isnt there a new kung pow coming out sometime?

I might go see this latter in the week, if time presents itself... Will have to check the movie listings around here however.

ElementalDragon said:
Sazar: no.... don't think it's a Sitar.

:lol: Sorry, minus the description, this reminding me of Mr. Ho...

OK, I was walking to the library to study last semester when one of my Tia Chi teachers walks up behind me rather descretely, bumps into me and said "no..." :D I figured at first he was saying I didn't have my back straight enough or something...though a side note, I had a school pack on me with Cisco books, and other heavy stuff in it. Yeah, I was hunched just a tad forward to hold the weight on my back...

He then asked me if he ever told me about Mr. Ho (one of his Tia Chi brothers). Apperently Mr. Ho walks around the park in Hong Kong bumping into people much like he did with me and says "no", then bumps into the next guy. Whether he's practicing his shoulder technique, or correcting them on their own incorrect posture (though beyond no, an explenation is never given), I don't know...

Sorry, been studying for finals and everything, so if I sound only half with it now, there's a reason...

TittleBitties said:
I want to see this movie cause it reminds me of Kung Pow for some reason lol.

Which reminds me...isnt there a new kung pow coming out sometime?

There might be a Kung Pow 2... The first one was certainly funny...

This movie's NOTHING like Kung Pow. My friend watched it with me, and he said he was expecting it to be something like Kung Pow (but hoping it wasn't) and he was surprised that it was a pretty good movie. i never saw Kung Pow though..... don't plan on seeing it either. one thing i DO want to see though is the new Jet Li movie.... Unleashed i think it's called? that and Madagascar.... and Star wars.

Son Goku said:
I might go see this latter in the week, if time presents itself... Will have to check the movie listings around here however.

:lol: Sorry, minus the description, this reminding me of Mr. Ho...

OK, I was walking to the library to study last semester when one of my Tia Chi teachers walks up behind me rather descretely, bumps into me and said "no..." :D I figured at first he was saying I didn't have my back straight enough or something...though a side note, I had a school pack on me with Cisco books, and other heavy stuff in it. Yeah, I was hunched just a tad forward to hold the weight on my back...

He then asked me if he ever told me about Mr. Ho (one of his Tia Chi brothers). Apperently Mr. Ho walks around the park in Hong Kong bumping into people much like he did with me and says "no", then bumps into the next guy. Whether he's practicing his shoulder technique, or correcting them on their own incorrect posture (though beyond no, an explenation is never given), I don't know...

Sorry, been studying for finals and everything, so if I sound only half with it now, there's a reason...

There might be a Kung Pow 2... The first one was certainly funny...

Yeah the first one was great lol

Ele: I guess thats kinda good that its not like kung pow. I mean the movie was funny but i unno if it would be that great to see something like it unless its a sequal.

Kung Fu Hustle

I absolutely love the movie..... but there's one thing i've been wondering since the first time i've watched it (musta watched it like 10 times by now). Does anybody here have any idea what the name of the instrument the 2 hired assassins use when they're fighting against Hexagon Staff, Iron Fist, and Three Kicks (think that's they're names)? I really love the way that instrument sounds. and if possible, u know where i might be able to find some music created with that instrument?

Re: Kung Fu Hustle

It was a lute of some kind..

edit: more specifically.. a Guzheng

edit 2: There is some downloadable mp3s here..

I'm sure you can google for more now that you know the proper name..

edit 3: There's also The Six Fingered Lord of the Lute.. LOL..

Also, go see Shaolin Soccer if you haven't seen it yet. It's another (prior to Kung Fu Hustle) stephen Chow production that I enjoyed.

Last edited:

yah iv seen on played very cool indeed. Only good thing i took from dating a music major for 2 years. hehe

Not being rude or anything, but Stephen Chow's movies have been going down hill for a long long time. Didn't even bother watching the whole thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back