[Movie Review] Collateral

Sazar

Rest In Peace
Saw it tonite...

good flick... will update later

4/5 OSNN stars.

One more for the list.....after I've had a chance to catch Fahrenheit 911 and Harold & Kumar.
Is it just me, or have there been too many movies worth watching recently?
tongue.gif

Don't jynx it, or we might get Debbie does Manhattan :D

Yeah it was decent, and was worth watching...

Son Goku said:
Don't jynx it, or we might get Debbie does Manhattan :D

Yeah it was decent, and was worth watching...

Debbie does Dallas was better. :p

gonaads said:
Debbie does Dallas was better. :p

LOL, well it would be one of those. Dan Fielding (Night Court, if anyone else had watched that, was enfatchuated with them Debbie Does videos...well that and the defence lawyers panties) ;)

Two of my Daughters got ta see the preview screening on Thursday. I had free passes to go. But me gotta be daddy and take care of the broke up Daughter so the other two got ta see it. They said it was quite good and the character that Tom Cruise portrays (assasin) is very well done. Plus ending is not what you expect. I don't know what that means, but me thinks it's not your normal ending. Or not to the way the movie goes.

They gave it 4/5 stars

Son Goku said:
LOL, well it would be one of those. Dan Fielding (Night Court, if anyone else had watched that, was enfatchuated with them Debbie Does videos...well that and the defence lawyers panties) ;)

scene.jpg

:D

But I think he had a thing for Markie Post

mp03.jpg

Jigglies :p

I saw it on Saturday.

It's nice to see Cruise playing a different type of character than his standard role but there are, as always, characteristics of his other roles that I saw in the performance.

I was rather happy with Foxx' performance. Personally, I've always hated Foxx and never found him funny as a comedian or his acting roles that I have seen. It was nice to see him where I actually could appreciate his acting.

I won't talk about the plot because I'm not going to spoil it for others but I will say that it isn't as fast-paced as I had expected it to be. I almost fell asleep at one point :eek:

I'd give it a 3 out of 5 star rating. It was good to see but I could very easily have never seen it and not minded.

Yeah, Fielding also had a thing for airline sterardesses and wasn't he the one who lost the election to the corpse? OK, back on topic I s'pose. I know saz hadn't done his review yet, but he'd probably prefer we not crap his thread with a side discussion of Night Court. It was rather funny though...

Speaking of Tom Cruises character, tbh I didn't exactly recognize him this time around. Is he getting on in years, or was that all costume makeup and what not? I'm assuming the latter, as I don't remember him looking so, OK seasoned in the Last Samari...

From what I have seen in interviews 'bout the movie, it was makeup and such.

Son Goku said:
Speaking of Tom Cruises character, tbh I didn't exactly recognize him this time around. Is he getting on in years, or was that all costume makeup and what not? I'm assuming the latter, as I don't remember him looking so, OK seasoned in the Last Samari...

I'd say it was mostly related to his hair colour and his beard. He looked thinner, as well. When combining it all, he looked older and haggard.

okies... bout time I updated this :D

was hoping a few more people woulda posted...

anyways... the movie itself is taut... pacing is decent though there are very perciptible lapses..

Mann guides the viewer into believing there will be a predictable ending... whether it turns out to be so you will have to watch :cool:

tom cruise does a more than adequate job as an assasin for hire with his minimalistic approach, his intense gaze of focus throughout the movie and his almost catlike stylization of action...

he also is a very suave and savvy character... you WANT to believe what he says... anyone else in his role perhaps would not have carried it off and the fact that its tom cruise MAKES you root for him (I respect him as an artist... what can I say :) )

jamie foxx plays a good foil with his frantic cabbie approach with a thing about being clean :)

I did notice that the deliberate pacing of his voice left him sounding a lot like Wesley Snipes... he does an adequate job in the movie and does justice to his selection...

there are some brilliant scenes in this movie... in a jazz bar for example... that are pivotal in providing a glimpse into the characters and really playing out on the talent of the people involved...

there are a couple of disjointed moments and a coupla things which coulda been handled differently but for the most part the movie is well made...

I was entertained and am happy to say this rounds out a coupla weeks of good movies :)

4/5 OSNN stars... probably not gonna be oscar-worthy but I would recommend it to any thinking person out there who doesn't mind a little bit of stylized violence...

geesh I should start charging for movie reviews :D

call it Sazar's movie hour or something and start my own website :cool:

Sazar said:
okies... bout time I updated this :D

was hoping a few more people woulda posted...

hehe, you're much better at movie reviews then I would probably be. I'm also not exactly a man for words when I've left a theater and what not. I have a friend who asks me about the plot (he likes spoilers) and I tend to say less then he's looking to here :D

Eh, fandango.com already does the movie reviews and they don't charge ;) You'd probably have to plan on revenue from advertisers if you were serious :D

Alright, it's my turn. :p

Michael Mann is around the top of my list as far as directors go. He won me over with "Heat" and "The Insider." If you've seen both of these going into "Collateral," then you will recognize many elements of his style in the film... a major element being his pacing. The lapses exist in his previous films as well, so they are intentional and I expect it, but enjoy it because I recognize it as part of Mann's style.

The dialogue is superb, in such ways as Sazar pointed out where you gain insight into a character through dialogue with other characters. Also, much of it was very clever, delivering what would be simple lines in a more interesting way.

The performances are top-notch as well. Like I said in the other thread, Mann extracts great performances from his actors. Cruise had a very commanding and (stealing from Sazar) suave character. He showed a lot of intensity without overdoing it to the point of exaggeration, and it was difficult to dislike him even though he was the antagonist. As for Foxx, he delivered again to further prove that he is a solid actor. I enjoyed his character a great deal, and on a somewhat related note, I expect good things from him in "Ray."

The soundtrack was great too, with a mix of musical score (James Newton Howard) and contemporary music. There was a beautifully done sequence with Audioslave that I particularly enjoyed.

I find it easy to go on about films that I really enjoy... it's too bad it doesn't happen more often. I had high expectations for "Collateral" and I wasn't disappointed. I strongly recommend this one, especially to those of you who are uncertain.

4.5/5 OSNN Stars

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back