[Movie Review] City of God

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
I get IFC (the Independent Film Channel) with my cable subscription and I saw that "City of God" was scheduled to show today. I remembered the title from several years back and that it was very well received in the US -- it's a South American film, Brazil specifically. The movie was released in 2003 and I think it received several Oscar nominations and won tons of other awards that year.

Anyhow, I decided to watch it and that turned out to be a very good decision. This movie is incredible. To generalize, it's gangs, drug lords, violence and corruption in the slums of Rio de Janeiro in the 60s and 70s. It's bascially a re-enactment of events that took place there during that time period -- supposedly it's about as close to the truth as a "based on a true story" movie can be.

The acting, cinematography and storytelling are all brilliant. There are hundreds of characters in the movie and they are all convincing -- it's almost as if real life was shot and then produced as a movie. The violence is tremendous but it is done so tastefully, as strange as that sounds. Some comparisons can be made to Scorcese when it comes to directorial style, and some critics have dubbed it as the "South American Goodfellas." I can see the reason for comparison, but I thought some of the style was unique as well.

I could go on and on about this one. It was a very refreshing and satisfying viewing experience. It's too bad that Hollywood can't produce more quality films like this -- the problem is that the American public doesn't demand that kind of quality.

5/5 OSNN Stars

Note: City of God is subtitled, and it is definitely a hard R rating -- so more casual movie watchers should be warned.

I was wondering why this review was really, really late. I reccommend Secuestro Express, if you liked City of God you should like that one also.

City of God is an excellent movie, many people liken it to a Brazillian Goodfellas. Has anyone seen the spin off series, City of Man?

I have the DVD lying around, I should get to watching it ;p

the opening scene with the chicken is awesome (the rest of the movie is great too)

I didn't watch it yet, but my friends and my chat mates told me that it was a great movie. Can anyone tell me a summary for the movie city of God? I love to have an idea first before I bought a DVD.

Real simplified version ... It's about gang life in the slums of Brazil.

Its far more complex than that though. Just watch it and be amazed!

Real simplified version ... It's about gang life in the slums of Brazil.

Its far more complex than that though. Just watch it and be amazed!

Yeah I will watch it for sure! Thanks for the information now I have an idea about it! So it's all bout gang life in slums of Brazil.... COOL!

It's a very powerful film and it's based on a true story, which I think makes it all the better.

Oh cool so it is based on a true story? WOW! I guess it is really a pwerful movie. I really have to get one now, I can't wait for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back