[Movie Review] Batman: The Dark Knight

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
The Dark Knight was an amazingly well directed and scripted movie. I swear there was not one second that I was not on the edge of my seat, as the action never ends. Heath Ledger played a brilliant Joker, keeping the character very dark yet very cool at the same time. As for Christian Bale, he did a great job as well, being a little more thought oriented than Batman Begins. I thought it was a good idea getting rid of Katie Holmes in the part of Rachel and casting Maggie Gyllenhaal in the part suited Rachel well. Finally, Aaron Eckhart did a great job playing dual parts of both Harvey Dent and Two-Face. Another great thing that I liked about the movie was that Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman all had much bigger parts than they did in Batman Begins. I'm sorry for being so vague in this review, but someone in my company got in trouble for posting an in-depth review of a movie prior to its releasehttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350454/, so all I can tell you, is this is one movie you absolutely must go out and see!

The Dark Knight was an amazingly well directed and scripted movie. I swear there was not one second that I was not on the edge of my seat, as the action never ends. Heath Ledger played a brilliant Joker, keeping the character very dark yet very cool at the same time. As for Christian Bale, he did a great job as well, being a little more thought oriented than Batman Begins. I thought it was a good idea getting rid of Katie Holmes in the part of Rachel and casting Maggie Gyllenhaal in the part suited Rachel well. Finally, Aaron Eckhart did a great job playing dual parts of both Harvey Dent and Two-Face. Another great thing that I liked about the movie was that Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman all had much bigger parts than they did in Batman Begins. I'm sorry for being so vague in this review, but someone in my company got in trouble for posting an in-depth review of a movie prior to its releasehttp://www.imdb.com/name/nm0350454/, so all I can tell you, is this is one movie you absolutely must go out and see!
nice revue, will certainly look forward to the movie thanx to you

is it in 3d or normal format on the big screen?
Im pretty sure its normal, just huge. I'll let you know. Im seeing it with friends in IMAX at 9:00 am tomorrow. When I saw it pre-release I wasn't able to bring anyone (also a result of someone writing a too-indepth review) so, it should be more fun this time round.

Another word of advice. Go to the bathroom before you go in, and don't get a large drink, at 2:45 minutes from previews to credits, this is a movie you don't want to have to wait to use the restroom.

Sounds like a plan Vanquished. And good review, just enough to tickle the curiosity yet vague enough to not get you into trouble and not give away anything from the movie. :D

I went and saw the movie tonight, however I was not as gripped in the first 30 minutes, it did not seem to grab my attention that much, and while there was some action it was just not the greatest. Definitely did not keep me on the edge of my seat, until much later on.

As soon as we get past the first thirty minutes or so the action becomes bigger, bolder and better. As soon as the Joker begins to have more personality and the in-human side of him comes out it becomes more fun, it becomes darker. The joker toys with the main characters like they are his puppets.

The gadgets as always were good, however I felt that at times they were a bit lacking. The movie at one point made fun of James Bond, and instead of coming off as a joke it seemed as if the entire theatre full of people had missed it. Whereas I had personally expected his "cave" to contain more hi-tech gadgets it was kept to a minimum, and felt as if the producers wanted to show that Bruce Wayne and Batman were not all about the hi-tech gadgets, but instead good ol' fist fights.

The effects really were mind-blowing, and provided much of the entertainment. They were used effectively to help tell parts of the story. It made the Joker and Batman come alive.

The best part of the movie that I personally enjoyed the most,
even-though I got many glaring looks from people, is when the Joker is dressed in a nurses outfit and is pushing the trigger button multiple times to blow up the hospital. Apparently people thought it was inappropriate.

yes and those shame people probably get up to all kinds of inappropriate and shocking **** when at home, hypocrites :p

I went and saw the movie tonight, however I was not as gripped in the first 30 minutes, it did not seem to grab my attention that much, and while there was some action it was just not the greatest. Definitely did not keep me on the edge of my seat, until much later on.

As soon as we get past the first thirty minutes or so the action becomes bigger, bolder and better. As soon as the Joker begins to have more personality and the in-human side of him comes out it becomes more fun, it becomes darker. The joker toys with the main characters like they are his puppets.

The gadgets as always were good, however I felt that at times they were a bit lacking. The movie at one point made fun of James Bond, and instead of coming off as a joke it seemed as if the entire theatre full of people had missed it. Whereas I had personally expected his "cave" to contain more hi-tech gadgets it was kept to a minimum, and felt as if the producers wanted to show that Bruce Wayne and Batman were not all about the hi-tech gadgets, but instead good ol' fist fights.

The effects really were mind-blowing, and provided much of the entertainment. They were used effectively to help tell parts of the story. It made the Joker and Batman come alive.

The best part of the movie that I personally enjoyed the most,
even-though I got many glaring looks from people, is when the Joker is dressed in a nurses outfit and is pushing the trigger button multiple times to blow up the hospital. Apparently people thought it was inappropriate.
lol, that is definitely the funniest part of the movie :p Good review.

*grumble* so want to click on that spoiler tag.. must.. resist.. till.. after.. viewing.. movie

On a side note, as it is still "early" in batman's career, it may be that he hasn't developed all those "cool toys" yet..

On a similar note, the first movie really set up that the character and tone of this version of Batman really isn't about toys and gadgets for their own sake but more he uses the "props" in a very utilitarian way - each thing has to have a purpose..

I'm going to see it Tuesday in IMAX. I will avoid the internets until then.

*grumble* so want to click on that spoiler tag.. must.. resist.. till.. after.. viewing.. movie

On a side note, as it is still "early" in batman's career, it may be that he hasn't developed all those "cool toys" yet..

On a similar note, the first movie really set up that the character and tone of this version of Batman really isn't about toys and gadgets for their own sake but more he uses the "props" in a very utilitarian way - each thing has to have a purpose..

Exactly. I'm glad to hear they kept the gadgets and such to a minimum. I was worried that they were going to jump from the very low tech and 'learning' feeling of the first one to over the top Batmans full arsenal of high tech crap in the 2nd. Good to hear I was wrong. I think its something that needs to be gradual and be logical, like how everything was introduced in the first film.

I just got back from watching it in the IMAX. No it wasn't 3D, but had lots of shots done with the IMAX cameras which was amazing looking. This isn't a review because I believe a review can't do this movie any justice.

Simply all aspects of this movie was brilliant and amazing, the acting, the story, the action, the presentation, everything.

And yes X-Istence, that was the funniest part in the movie, that along with the pencil scene "looooooook,..looookk its gone!@" lmao

Man, just watched a little bit of it again during work yesterday, and all I can say is that Heath Ledger did an excellent job.

I just got back from watching the movie at IMAX and my goodness, it looked AWESOME on like a 10000 foot screen with ridiculously amazing sound :smoker:

Now for the movie itself.

I had heard a lot of things about the movie and how some people think that it's the second coming of christ and all that jazz. I kept hearing best movie of the year talk and best actor award for Heath Ledger and so forth.

Well, overall I thought it was a very good movie. Good pacing, good character development, especially by Harvey Dent's character. I think the situations presented and the whole cat and mouse aspect was handled well enough and allowed for the exploration of the human psyche.

I wish they could have pushed for an R rating so the movie could have been darker. There are a lot of implied things that could well have been a slam-dunk but c'est la vie.

Christian Bale was perfect yet again and I really think Michael Caine needs more screen time. His little conversations with Bale just add so much to the movies :)

Morgan Freeman was dependable as always and Aaron Eckhart was excellent. I have heard some people claim he was the weak link but, in my opinion, he outshone all the other actors INCLUDING Heath Ledger. He personified the character of Two-Face and unlike Star Wars Episode 3, where Darth Vader turns to the dark side on the promise of more candy or a better parking spot or something equally ludicrous, Two-Face's introduction is very believable.

Maggie Gyllenhall was an adequate actress for a decent role but I really don't think her character could have been worse than Katie Holmes personification :)

Gary Oldman has a lot more screen time and again, he excels. I think he did a better job in the first movie but, by the end of this new movie, he reaches the levels of the previous installment.

Heath Ledger did a great job given the material and his take is a lot darker than Jack Nicholson's. Was it better? Does he deserve and oscar? I can't really say because the movies were completely different. Jack Nicholson did a fantastic job and his role is a classic. I think in time Heath's too will be considered a decent role but as of right now, I am not ready to give the "instant classic" label to the movie.

Also, I personally don't think it's an Oscar worthy role. People are getting a little carried away with their gushing about him. Javier Bardem was much more sinister and really DESERVED his oscar last year, as did Daniel Day-Lewis.

The movie itself, a must-see I think. Nothing really weak about it beyond Michael Jai White. What a terrible job he did.

4/5 OSNN stars.

4/5 OSNN stars.
that's really a well put together revue, I was going to see this on a regular screen but now I must Imax it

sazar, quick question, has there ever been a movie in the history of all movies that earns 5 osnn stars?

Only 2 movies on my list Perris.

Seven Samurai and Wall-E

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back