[Movie Review] American Gangster

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
In one sentence: Best movie since The Departed.

The story is pretty plainly spelled out in the trailer. Russell Crowe is the good guy, Denzel Washingon is the bad guy. Denzel is Frank Lucas, a gangster, Russell is Richie Robers, the only straight cop in New York. That's what shown on TV but the movie is vastly different. Richie is a womanizing, workaholic. His ex wants to take their son to Vegas, he won't let her. Why? well as his attorney asks, do you want him or do you just not want her to win? Frank starts out as a driver for a mobster. Being around the mobster he's gotten free crime lessons for 15 years. When he dies Frank assumes his roll, he keeps the right people happy, he keeps the citizens of Harlem happy and he asserts his control over everything else. Frank isn't a good guy, he kills when someone gets in his way, be it friend or family, he doesn't care. But he's the sort of anti hero people love to watch. Richie isn't liked by anyone in the department. Not after he turned in close to a million dollars in drug money. After doing that no one can trust him.

This only scratches the surface of the film. There is a lot more going on here, more then I can discuss without spoiler tags. Just do yourself a favor and go see it. The performances from every cast member is great, the direction is amazing, the camera work, the sets (it really looks like the 60's & 70's) it all flawless.

5 /5 OSNN Stars.

I want to see this soooooooooooooo badddddddddddd

I hoped to go thsi weekend but it's not going to work out, hopefully next :(

I too want to see this flick. However, I'm going to wait for it on DVD because I don't do the theater.

Let's go see it Matt, Erica doesn't really want to :(

great movie, I also give this 5 out of 5 stars

best line in this movie and possibly top five movie lines of all times to follow in spoiler, do not click if you plan on going to see it

quiting while you're ahead is not the same as quiting

I really want to go see it, money is tight though. :(

I also really want to click that spurler button, but I'm trying to resist.

great movie, I also give this 5 out of 5 stars

best line in this movie and possibly top five movie lines of all times to follow in spoiler, do not click if you plan on going to see it

quiting while you're ahead is not the same as quiting

I have to agree great movie and a very true line/quote. If only he had... and, maybe not worn that... If only.

But I saw it at home. I have a predistribution DVD. :eek: Don't ask. :speechless:

I have to agree great movie and a very true line/quote. If only he had... and, maybe not worn that... If only.

But I saw it at home. I have a predistribution DVD. :eek: Don't ask. :speechless:

Absolutely agree with everyone about that quote, but not that it's truly a spoiler. Just an amazing moment.

However, I would not rate the movie as high as The Departed, which I thought had far more vibrant performances from more people. Denzel and Russell (first name basis, donchaknow) were both as excellent as they've ever been and the scenes between them had wonderful energy, but it wasn't as consistent as The Departed, and frankly, I didn't really care about what happened to either of the characters.

I also saw it "predistribution" ... I feel morally bereft for having done so and am sending a special donation to the screen writers' guild. Seriously. Well, as soon as I get a job, I will.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back