movie codec detection?

Need help from someone with 64 Bit windows installed. Read on, request is near the end of the post.

Microsoft help file on this:
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...KB;EN-US;822430

Says to use SP2 to gett he fixed files:
SHmedia.dll dated 12 aug 2003
avifil32.dll dated 12 aug 2003

I checked my wifes comp that has SP2 and it has the same files as my machine dated 12 sept 2002.

When you follow the links to "get the hot fix" (i.e. the new files) you end up at the MS pay for support center. At this point I gave up and am now looking for option B (option A is the registry hak).

Does anyone have Windows XP 64 Bit installed? Can you check if you have the following files:

Wavifil32.dll dated 12 aug 2003
wshmedia.dll dated 12 aug 2003

These are x86 versions of the 64 bit files that install with 64 Bit windows. The file sizes are identical to the windows xp 32 bit files and I suspect they are identical files. So being crazy I will rename the files and install them in place of the defective 12 sept 2002 files.

I can install 64bit windows if you like but not immediatley so if you dont mind a couple days wait then sure - otherwise you may do better getting it from someone who already ahs it installed

Lord

Thanks, but this isn't important enough to go do an install for. That's like real work. I can wait until someone has it available.

LordOfLA said:
I advise against ffdshow. Its inbuild decodes are based on older code revisions of the actual codecs it support and I have always recieve masking, double vision, rainbow pallete or corrupted frames using it.

As has been recommended before, windows users should either install all the codecs by hand or use K-Lite mega codec pack.

I cant comment on vlc as I@ve not used it for more than 15 seconds and deciding it wasnt for me just yet.
Is there any proof to this? Even so, I don't think it really holds to much without reported problems. In all the years I've been using it I have yet to see a single problem, the 2005 releases are rock solid.

To be honest I would never even think of using a codec pack over FFDshow unless you do video encoding, in which case you will want a specific version of the codec itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back