move entire program files to a seperate volume?

BlackScarletLove

my C drive is only an 80G and right now 60G of it is full of apps. I rather like these apps and I don't want to uninstall them. Is it possible to actually move the whole folder to my terabyte and just fix the shortcut paths as needed, or is it more complicated than that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Is it possible to move your entire program files folder to a seperate volume?

my C drive is only an 80G and right now 60G of it is full of apps. I rather like these apps and I don't want to uninstall them. Is it possible to actually move the whole folder to my terabyte and just fix the shortcut paths as needed, or is it more complicated than that?
not likely

you'll need to go into every directory and tell each program where you put those files

Re: Is it possible to move your entire program files folder to a seperate volume?

Partition Magic used to be able to do this with fair success. They trashed PM a while back as far as I'm concerned so now I use the following:

The way I do it is to create a "system" partition on the new drive image the original over to it using WD (Seagate, etc) utilities then remove the original and make the new partition on the big drive my C: drive with operating system.

Once everything is good you can reformat the old drive and use it or keep it as a backup of the system partition.

I almost understand the process you are describing, but not quite. Could you explain a little more?

he wants to transfer his program files folder to another hard drive and keep all programs working

but i doubt you can do that cos a lot of registry entries would get messed up (some may work tho, idk)

You could resize the partition if it is on the same volume?

I've played games that are 'portable' with no installation required. How is that?

I've played games that are 'portable' with no installation required. How is that?
aome programs run straight from their own folder, some get "registered" in the registry, most send files and code to a folder in your "program files" folder

on the install most programs ask you where you want the program installed, the person who wrote the program will almost always assume that's "program files" on "c", to which you can say no and pot that folder somewhere else

What OS are you using?

Sometimes Windows has things running in the background passively, so you may well find you have more than it really shows.

I often find when I check out people's PCs that they are full of temporary files and other junk.

Try running the disk clean up utility which should hopefully cover that, also on its second tab you may well find options for system restore or volume shadow copy - Those should also generally be ok to clear out (or perhaps even disabled) if your system is stable.

I would certainly disable system restore in xp, but on Vista I have already found volume shadow copy and system restore to be very valuable.

Last option would be to consider applications that you don't need and could be uninstalled, or those you haven't had to overly configure which could be safely uninstalled then reinstalled onto the other partition.

Isn't it unwise to disable system restore?

Isn't it unwise to disable system restore?
he said if your system is stable then you can reclaim those old restore points

I happen to use systemm restore alot too but I always empty the file when my box is running stable, then I turn it back on to begin anew

best option for system restore if you have a stable system you like would be to first disable then re enable, then go into the options and reduce the disc percentage system restore uses

he said if your system is stable then you can reclaim those old restore points

I happen to use systemm restore alot too but I always empty the file when my box is running stable, then I turn it back on to begin anew

best option for system restore if you have a stable system you like would be to first disable then re enable, then go into the options and reduce the disc percentage system restore uses

how low of a percentage woudl you recommend i use?

what percentage is being used now?

I wouldn't think you need more then a gig for system restore since old restore points are deleted as it goes

The best thing to do is make a image with acronis of your system. Then if anything happens you can restore it back to good behavior. As for moving program files to another directory; if the files are self executable you can just move them, if they are not then you would have to uninstall them, then reinstall them into the different directory.

-Start with bigger new drive, 1TB.
-Make a small partition on it, say 100GB. Set the partition as a SYSTEM, Bootable type partition when creating it.
-Next, using a tool that can create a true image (exact copy) of the original hard drive you duplicate the existing 80 gig onto the 100 MB partition. This is called imaging the drive. WD and Seagate have utilities for doing this. They will only work if both drives are the same brand WD or Seagate. Acronis and possibly others have drive imaging software.
-Remove the old system drive (80 GB one) and you should now boot off the 1TB drive with 40 GB free space.
-Use the rest of the TB for audio, video, bulky programs like games, etc.

Avoid rebooting with both bootable drives in the PC. SOmetimes Windows XP gets nasty when you do this. It was a copy proteciton scheme issue for a while.

you can use a program called "ez file transplanter" to do this job (at least so I am told, have never had to use it).

Hans

Last edited:
I do it on xp all the time. You just have update the shortcuts to point to the new location of the exe files.I wouldn't move the antivirus/firewall program folders, but you shouldn't have any problems with the rest of the programs.
------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back