Mouse question

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Ok..... i built a computer for my grandmother, and it's running well, but she is not happy that the LED for the light never turns off, even when the computer is turned off. Would this be caused by the fact that it's connected with the USB-to-PS/2 converter thing, then a PS/2 cable extender, or is it from some other cause? it's a MS Intellimouse Optical i believe, and it's running Windows XP Pro.

optical mice are turend off by the usb system so if its conencted to the ps/2 port it'll always be on. The two options to avoid it are: ball mouse or logitech mx1000 as it uses an infrared laser.

An ATX standard computer is never turned off. It only goes into a deep sleep mode. So you are still connected and to, and drawing power from the power lines (and by the way susceptible to lighting and power surge damage).

I uses a surge suppressor with a switch on it. Shut down the system and then turn off the switch on the power strip.

she could just cover it with a sock or something

Is it the LED for the mouse or the one thats to make it look more fancy? If its the fancy one then open the mouse and disconnect it. Otherwise try using USB instead.

it's just the LED for the mouse itself. and yeah, i was pretty sure that it was just the fact that it was hooked up to the PS/2 port..... but wanted to be certain. thx a bunch for the fast responses.

check the motherboard manual for a jumper that will kill the PS2 power when the computer is shut down. Both of my computers have jumpers for this so the mouse lights are not on when the computers are off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back