Motorolla SB5100 (BY)

sean.ferguson

OSNN Veteran Addict
Someone has asked for my help with this modem, but after two hours of fiddling with it I still cant get the thing to connect.

System is windows XP Home (SP2) and as a first thought I ran Giant and MTR. Giant found an insane number of signatures 1400+ so I quarantined them all. Network Connections shown a blueyonder connection under "dial-up" section, but the connection is a Cable connection.

I tried to boot into safe-mode but the system just rebooted. I tried running a repair installation, but the media was said not to be correct. It was a OEM disc which apparently was used in the initial install process, and no extra hardware has been added nor removed.

Phoned the tech support for her and was told to open the cmd, but a message popped up that the file was either moved, renamed or i didnt have the priviledges. Checked the user information and she is set as Computer Administrator. :s

She is now hunting around for another XP installation disc and is wanting me to re-install the entire PC. I have no problem with doing that as it means more cash for me. But really, I see that as unfair and was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions as to what I could try? Has anyone had issues with the SB5100 on Blueyonder before?

Finally, after reading the above do you all think a re-install is neccessary? I know what i think.... linux heh :p

Thanks in advance

Are you hooking up the modem to USB or Ethernet card?

Sounds like viruses if you can not open command prompt so try running Stinger.

nix said:
System is windows XP Home (SP2) and as a first thought I ran Giant and MTR. Giant found an insane number of signatures 1400+ so I quarantined them all. Network Connections shown a blueyonder connection under "dial-up" section, but the connection is a Cable connection.

1400 eh? Run hijack this and post it here. There is likely some corruption of Windows files

Repairing OEM installs:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Zombie; thats what i was thinking. She said that she "had" anti-virus software but removed it recently. In this state the PC has no anti-virus but i do see traces of AVG and Norton lying around on it. Also its hooked up via USB :s

Shakes; Thanks for the link, but i have tried a repair install already. After deleting all the files it displayed a message something similar to "the cd is not valid, please reboot and restart the setup program or hit enter to retry." I tried it numerous times to no avail, hence why she is now hunting another XP disc... Which might i add i recieved a phone call just 10 minutes ago, she has managed to get her hands on a XP Pro Disc. So I am going down there around noon tomorrow to re-attempt a repair. Failing that it will be coming home with me and it will be given an overhaul.

As a side note, i had a look through the Hi-Jack This! log and there were a few issues in the registry. Mainly down to malware. My Web, XXXToolbar, Gator (cant remember its new name), etc etc etc.

Well it appeared to be a USB cable that was 'broken' apparently it looks like the dog chewed through it, after me checking the cable :s

There is still issues ith the install tho, especially if it isnt allowing access to cmd even when she is set as an administrator :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back