• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Motherboard???

E

Eve

Guest
#1
I can't figure out what type and manufacturer of motherboard I have. It's a Compaq Presario 5000 Series 5BW120. I have checked the compaq website, but it doesn't say. I found this on my computer yesterday and I thought maybe one of you could figure out what kind of motherboard I have from it.

TIA,

Eve
 
A

AmarSingh

Guest
#2
go to www.belarc.com and download the belarc advisor. it will do a scan of your hardware and report the manufacturer and model (or version) of almost all they stuff in your system (including software)
 
R

Raven76

Guest
#3
It's probably a Compaq MB. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Chances are it's a proptietary model. It might be manufactured by a retail MB company, but it's still going to be specific to compaq. Most of the larger OEM's work this way. They don't use MB that are available through retail/consumer channels.
 
E

Eve

Guest
#4
Originally posted by AmarSingh
go to www.belarc.com and download the belarc advisor. it will do a scan of your hardware and report the manufacturer and model (or version) of almost all they stuff in your system (including software)
Ok, did it and I think from what it said the my motherboard is a Compaq 06C0h, am I right?
 
E

Eve

Guest
#5
Originally posted by Raven76
It's probably a Compaq MB. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Chances are it's a proptietary model. It might be manufactured by a retail MB company, but it's still going to be specific to compaq. Most of the larger OEM's work this way. They don't use MB that are available through retail/consumer channels.
I figured it would be, but when I type in the serial number on the compaq website, the system specs wouldn't say.
 
A

AmarSingh

Guest
#6
Originally posted by Eve


Ok, did it and I think from what it said the my motherboard is a Compaq 06C0h, am I right?
yup you're right and so is Raven. I have an HP pc and its got an Asus board in it, but it was made specifically for HP by asus and cannot be found anywhere else. Only hp will provide a bios update for this. You are in a similar situation with your compaq. (ill be ditching my hp in about 2 weeks though):)
 

jw50

OSNN Senior Addict
#7
Eve, when you have a Compaq, Dell, Gateway, HP, etc., it really doesn't make much difference who the manufacturer is or what the model number is for the motherboard, the only place that you can get any info on them is from the vendor (Compaq, Dell,....). As Raven said these vendors use proprietary motherboards (i.e., a motherboard that is not available from anyone else even tho it is made by one of the major mobo manufacturers) and they generally are not very upgradeable. One reason they do this is so that you have to go to their website to find out things like what kind of memory modules they use and then they try to get you to order from them if you want to add memory (at a higher price than you can get the same memory module elsewhere).

One of the advantages to building your own computer is that you know exactly what components you have in the box:) BTW, anyone that can read and follow instructions can build their own computer, it is really pretty simple to do.
 
W

wyrlwyn

Guest
#8
for what its worth, i work at staples and we havea lot of compaqs,and they all use asus mobos.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,013
Latest member
Pdawgintown