Motherboard wont post with CD rom pluged in

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
i have a new motherboard to put in a friends computer nad it is a ECS L7VMM3 (actually a good board) but when the cd rom is pluged in it wont post. i hvae changed cambles and all but it still wont post. anyone run into this before or have any ideas???

Perhaps go into the bios and check the boot order?

LOL if i could go into teh bios, it does not post at all, no beep or anything no monitor/video card power up

Start checking your power supply.

I'm not going to ask this>>>>Is the cord plugged in? :D :D

LOL all cords are pluged in correctly, the PSU is good. also a good one too Thermaltake 420 for my test PSU,
ok it is a long shor but i am going to try it out of the case in case of a short on the board and case but that is a werid idea but it is all i can think of.

Is the cdrom still good? It could be gone, which might explain why the motherboard wont do anything at all.

Do you have another cd-rom around? If so try that and if it boots then you have found the problem .. not sure why a cd-rom would stop a system from booting though unless it was set as the boot device. :confused:

from what I understand, when the cdrom is plugged in the computer doesnt turn on at all. So I would do what Xie said: Try another cdrom.

Is this cd-rom being added to IDE channel 1 or 2? Perhaps you have a bad IDE channel? If it's on channel 2 is it the only item on that channel? Perhaps try another device like perhaps an extra HD or something you have laying around on the same IDE channel.

Now if ya got a HDD already plugged into the MoBo on da Primary IDE channel why don't ya just unplug the CD drive and see if it will post. then go into the BIOS and see if the boot sequence is correct.

Also I had a similar prob. but it was due to adding another HDD and I swapped out the CD drive with a faster one and connected it to the Secondary IDE channel as "master" (set jumper to "master") and stuck the second HDD on the primary as "slave" (jumper - "slave"). It would not find the CD drive nor let me into BIOS.

So I moved the second HDD to the Secondary IDE as "master" and the CD drive back to the Primary IDE as "slave" (reset the jumper to what they were now) then everything worked.

Don't really know if any of that is relavent or not.

They can be quirky as to their position sometimes. I don't know why.

people, always check the obvious. make sure your jumpers are set correctly on the cd-rom. cable select generally works well, but i prefer to set each one individually.
burners to master, roms to slave. my own personal preference. but it works.

toretto said:
people, always check the obvious. make sure your jumpers are set correctly on the cd-rom. cable select generally works well, but i prefer to set each one individually.
burners to master, roms to slave. my own personal preference. but it works.
same here

make sure the cdrom isnt touching the board in anyway. I had cdroms hold up systems by shorting out that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back