Motherboard Supports...

N

Not Bman

I have had this motherboard on my head for awhile, was going to buy it along with a new CPU and DDR3 RAM. I just noticed that it says Crossfire ready, this means that it does not support Nvidia cards right? That is a real bummer, I can't find any other motherboard up to this standard without losing the Nvidia videocard support.

Anyone have an idea, better motherboard, or something?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=3109410&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Now I did find this one instead, but this one does not support DDR3 RAM... arg

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=3568921&body=MAIN#detailspecs

um i think you'll find you should be able to use nvidia with that board - would be rather a stupid move to make a board only work with one card makers products, that seems to me that if you were to buy some ati cards that can do cross fire that board will support it

think in one of the replies they say they are using a 8800 on that board so you might be all right - i would do further checking though, and $320 for a mobo is a bit much

I am only saying this board because it is quite future safe, can be upgrading quite a bit.

Unless it says SLI capable then it will only support one Nvidia card. Crossfire is ATI's version of SLI and I don't think there is a board that does both, if there is then I haven't seen one yet.

As long as I can at least have a Nvidia card in there I am happy with it.

I always thought that they only did one or the other, as in if it does Nvidia it can't do ATI. I guess I was wrong.

*or does anyone have a better system in mind for right now, something top of the line, yet able to be upgraded?

Last edited by a moderator:
AM's correct - you can use NVIDIA, but one one card. You could use 2 ATis on that board if you wanted to.

Apparently there are hacks to force SLi on a Crossfire board and vice-versa but I've not seen one myself.

Intel Skulltrail will support Crossfire and SLI but it costs more than a house :D

What you mean I ain't paying.......

I guess I will go with this board, I just hope I don't want SLI in the future.

Oh, forgot that I stated that ahhaaa, well he is paying most likley for 2 things, I need to get a few things more then that.

right so get him to pay for the 2 dearest things that mother board and probably the graphics card :)

I don't know what 2 get....there are to many options...someone has to help me pick.. here is what I really want..

I am going to get the 9800 GX2 1GB Nvidia cards when they are here, I might also want to do SLI setup in the future. I would like to be able to have DDR3 RAM in my system, but dont really want to pay for it now, as it is expensive....i want quad core and 4 to 6GB of RAM (either DDR2 or DDR3, but as I said would like to be able to have DDR3 when needed)

Now I don't know what motherboard can support all this...the one I stated does not do this, at least not in terms of the RAM issue.....ideas people?

and with all of this, I have money that I can spend, but not crazy amounts, which makes things hard to choose in terms of future buys...

I don't know what 2 get....there are to many options...someone has to help me pick.. here is what I really want..

I am going to get the 9800 GX2 1GB Nvidia cards when they are here, I might also want to do SLI setup in the future. I would like to be able to have DDR3 RAM in my system, but dont really want to pay for it now, as it is expensive....i want quad core and 4 to 6GB of RAM (either DDR2 or DDR3, but as I said would like to be able to have DDR3 when needed)

Now I don't know what motherboard can support all this...the one I stated does not do this, at least not in terms of the RAM issue.....ideas people?

and with all of this, I have money that I can spend, but not crazy amounts, which makes things hard to choose in terms of future buys...

You have listed a number of specs and products. What exactly are you looking to use your system for? Start with that first and foremost and then work towards the goal, else you'll end up with an ill-conceived final product that is un-balanced from a performance perspective.

You have to consider latencies and power-draw, performance, your display size and resolution supported as well as applications you are using as primary and secondary products and so forth.

Your system seems like a decent gaming product but from your portfolio, you have other uses of the system. As such I would suggest going with a single card (i.e. a 9800gtx) which is, given Nvidia's track record, likely going to have much better driver support and compatability, albeit with slower performance in some situations.

Additionally, some of the more powerful motherboards (again, from a performance perspective) also have a number of incompatabilities and issues. The intel boards are typically a better buy due to this and that is specifically why I purchased an Intel board. Nvidia just has too many problems.

It is well and good to have 30 different threads asking about a variety of products but then you simply have too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Figure out what YOU want to achieve, what budget you have and go forth. I now have (or will, tonight) a good media system. I am waiting for Nehalem to put together a high-end gaming system that will last me a while. I did my research and I am satisfied with my performance expectations.

I have always had ASUS motherboards, and pretty sure Intel chipsets.

I have always had Nvidia videcards as well.

What I want to achieve is a top of the line/ most powerful gaming system, since a powerful gaming system is more then enough to do my other required tasks.

I think my biggest problem right now is dealing with DDR3 and DDR2 RAM, I do not know what 2 do, I want to have the most powerful and useful RAM out there but at the same time it is too expensive. If I go with a MB that only supports DDR2 then I might be screwed over for the future. My total budget for my new system I was hoping for no more then $700 to $800. Which should be more then enough to buy a top of the line system if you shop around. The budget is not 100% right now either way, so it could change.

This is what I have picked out right now, which is the best I can do right now but as I stated already, the RAM issue is a problem, or at least I think.

MB - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=3109410&body=MAIN#detailspecs

CPU - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2643933

RAM - http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3163026&CatId=3361

Now I might not buy from this place, but this is what I am thinking at the moment. I was asking you guys if you had a better idea, meaning if there is a better MB option out there right now then I might think about that. Basically as you can tell I am not sure what I am talking about right now, I am really just looking for options, suggestions, ideas, and what ever else I can get. I just want a new system lol. I hope I made my goal clear here. I am also only posting links to the MB,RAM, & CPU because the Vidcard is simple, its the 9800GX2.

And sorry for any related threads, didn't know I was doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like quite the motherboard.....I can't seem to find it in retail anywhere..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back