Motherboard self-install opinion

S

shulse

I am slowly upgrading my computer and I would like to add a new motherboard to my system.

The question is - how easy is it uninstall and install a new motherboard? I have some knowledge of and have successfully installed new vid and sound cards, which I considered very easy and straight-forward. I would say a 2 out of a 1-10 scale.

I have a Dell Dimension 4300, which has a pretty roomy tower and things aren't packed in too tight. On the new motherboard I would like to transplant my P4 1.7 from my current motherboard and add some DDR RAM.

I have read several online guides and can't really get a feel for how difficult it is. Seems like there are a lot of steps, but none seem to crazy. Using my above mentioned scale of 1-10 - how difficult would this be to do?

Installing them is pretty easy, a couple of things to make sure of though. On a scale of 1-10 give a PCI expansion a 2, this would probably be a 5, but you really can't plug things into the wrong place, they just won't fit.

1) Sometimes Dell's, Gateways, etc., do not use standard case size like ATX form factor, just make sure that the case supports the mobo size.

2) Always use all of the spacers for the mobo.

3) Install the processor, RAM, Video card, and front panel LEDs first, then start connecting the power to the HDD, FDD, and CDD. Same thing with the 3-pin fan speed wires. Then connect the IDE cables last. It makes it easier to work with before all of the IDE cables get in the way.

4) Another couple of things to watch with the front panel LEDs, make sure the polarity is right. Also if the mobo has a firewire make sure it is connected to the correct place on the board, if that is installed incorrectly it can destroy some mobos.

5) If you have unconnected wires when you finish, take a look back and see what you missed.

I am not sure about this but alot of pc builders lock xp with the bios: i.e. if you change out the mobo you will have to get a new copy of XP. I am not sure about Dells as I have never had one but do a search or ask, I am sure someone knows

Originally posted by jdn
I am not sure about this but alot of pc builders lock xp with the bios: i.e. if you change out the mobo you will have to get a new copy of XP. I am not sure about Dells as I have never had one but do a search or ask, I am sure someone knows

Thats a good point. If the dell only came with a recovery disk then once you put in the new motherboard the recovery disk will no longer work. And once you put in the new motherboard you will have to reinstall windows.

CAUTION! Dell uses a proprietary wiring scheme for their motherboard power cables! You most likely will not be able to install a standard ATX motherboard in your case without rewiring the cable for yourself or buying a new power supply.

Originally posted by freightgod
CAUTION! Dell uses a proprietary wiring scheme for their motherboard power cables! You most likely will not be able to install a standard ATX motherboard in your case without rewiring the cable for yourself or buying a new power supply.
Yep, BIG WARNING sign on that one! I almost made that mistake. Luckily I realised the wires were a bit "too red". Looking closer they where'nt even in the same holes as a standard ATX.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back