Motherboard Model:Compaq 06C0h

bilmo

OSNN Junior Addict
Dead Sea Scrolls Anyone?

My Mother has a PIII Presario which is a fine functional old coal burning PC. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, including myself.

my question for the wizards out there (which does not include me) is this:

I want to put more memory in this thing. But I have found vastly different stories about the support of the 06Coh.

More than not say that 256MB is the max. I just want to know if that's true.

2 seperate online memory selling websites have claimed this board supports 512MB. I think they are wrong, and am therefor reluctant to purchase from their company(s)

What is the accurate specs on a Compaq 06C0h?

Thanks much!

Bill

Mayvbe you should try looking up the computer's model number, not much can be found on the motherboard model.

When I wanted to know what kind of ram my presario laptop needed I just sent Compaq an email, although is was a new laptop so Im not sure if they can help you too much. No harm in trying tho, you cal always call.

Admiral Michael said:
Mayvbe you should try looking up the computer's model number, not much can be found on the motherboard model.

When I wanted to know what kind of ram my presario laptop needed I just sent Compaq an email, although is was a new laptop so Im not sure if they can help you too much. No harm in trying tho, you cal always call.

you're probably right. which is a good thing. all the info I COULD find on the mobo (scant little) said it supported 256MB tops........

here's another site that sells memory who would beg to differ!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Guaranteed To Work with your Compaq Presario 5010US​

Memory Module Part Number Our Price Qty Order 64MB SDRAM PC100
System Memory 22882-01 $29.99 128MB SDRAM PC100
System Memory 22882-02 $36.99 256MB SDRAM PC100
(Most Popular Choice)
System Memory 22882-03 $54.99
Guaranteed To Work * FREE SHIPPING * Lifetime Warranty
System Information
Maximum memory: 512 MB
Standard memory: 128 MB (removable)
Slots: 2 sockets

Click here for installation instructions Email This Page
Print This Page
Memory Details About Your System
PC100 SDRAM DIMMs Your Compaq Presario 5010US only supports modules made with a specific type of chip. Should you find what seems to be the exact same memory elsewhere for a lower price, it is very possible that the cheaper memory will not work in your computer. By using the 4allmemory.com "Memory Finder" your selected memory modules are
Guaranteed To Work or your money back! Learn more about chip density, memory prices, and compatibility.

Guaranteed To Work * FREE SHIPPING * Lifetime Warranty

--------------------------------------------------------------------
if this is accurate, I could put 4 times the current memory for 110 bucks, free shipping. it may be worth it. I'm still pondering. thanks for your post!

It's quite possible that it only officially supports 256, but will run with 512.

If I recall my ancient history... The 2 sticks have to be the same size and you have to have 2 sticks in at the same time.

Admiral Michael said:
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]System Memory [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]128 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM, two total DIMM slots upgradable to 512 MB (SyncDRAM DIMM required)[/FONT]

Taken From:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&tool=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&product=92926&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&docname=c00009349

thanks. that's very helpful and interesting. I clicked your gold star a bunch of times. I hope it worked :)

dreamliner77 said:
It's quite possible that it only officially supports 256, but will run with 512.

yes. apparently! thanks guy. neil is quite the drummer, yes?

Theres supopse to be a popup when u click the gold star, you insert a comment and click "Add to Reputation"

LeeJend said:
If I recall my ancient history... The 2 sticks have to be the same size and you have to have 2 sticks in at the same time.

you are correct. I wish Mom would just buy a new puter. with an AMD cpu. and not a frikkin Compaq. or a Dell. or a Gateway.

dreamliner77 said:
And a pretty good author too!

author, as in novels? like whodunnit novels? I didn't know that. I'll check that out. thanks!

<<< It's quite possible that it only officially supports 256, but will run with 512 >>>

while checking up on older memory and older parts etc... it's almost cheaper to leave this one alone and just build another one.

I use a 06C0h mobo, the max is 512 (which is what I run). It's old, but reliable.

Admiral Michael said:

Hi there! how's it going? boy, what an old thread. say, is it possible to upgrade the graphics on this beast? the presario PIII?

it has integrated graphics, but I wonder if it has an AGP slot. if so, and I put a better video card in, will it work?

thanks!!

Laptops don't have upgradable video cards (I think a few alienware do but thats all).

Typically all you can update is:
*RAM
*Hard Drive
*Wifi Card (All depends if it had one to begin with)
*Battery

Admiral Michael said:
Laptops don't have upgradable video cards (I think a few alienware do but thats all).

Typically all you can update is:
*RAM
*Hard Drive
*Wifi Card (All depends if it had one to begin with)
*Battery

it's a presario mini tower desktop. still, what's the point. I'm studying about
new components and so on. this thing is a relic.

being a desktop, is it 'possible' I could put an AGP card in it? it's a PNY,
not a Compaq.......

Sorry dont know what I was thinking when I posted that.

If it has an AGP slot then just make sure the card/slot is compatible (2, 4x, 8x)

Admiral Michael said:
Sorry dont know what I was thinking when I posted that.

If it has an AGP slot then just make sure the card/slot is compatible (2, 4x, 8x)

no AGP slot, but thanks anyway!! you're all very helpful. it's a fine old puter for putzing and emailing and even some digital photos. not much point in upgrading anything except the ram.

thanks Admiral and all you nice folks :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back