Motherboard fried?

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hey...I am at my friends house cause his computer wont turn on. I think the mobo is fried because nothing turns on except they lil red light on the mobo that shows its getting power. I blew off all the dust and tried to reset the cmos but still didnt do anything. Is it most likely that his mobo is fried?

Could be the cpu. The only way to tell though is to test it with another cpu.

Are the case/cpu fans firing up?

I say if the fans are not turning then look into power supply because even with a fried mobo some fans should come on ie: the fan inside the power supply for one

Well i was on it last night and it was running fine. It was left on over night and when he came down in the morning it was off and he tried to turn it on but it wouldnt. Nothin starts up at all cept the lil red light thats on when u plug in the cord.

edit: I guess the side fans werent turning on either or the light tube thats inside. So its gotta be the power supply then but how is the lil red light coming on?

power travels through a wire like a ground light will be on when there is no power as such, if you not sure just grab your power supply and try it see if it boots up. When you said blew all the dust out sure sounds like it was not very well taken care off.

Any how try another PSU for a starter.

What sort of mobo is it? Most can control the psu and switch it off. If the cpu is dead the mobo will switch off straight away, you may just get the fans spinning for a second when you power up.

Have you another pc to test with?

Yeah i was thinking about checking with a different but wanted to make sure. Its an albertron or w/e. I am gonna go check right now...be back in a few

well it was the power supply...that was my second guess. It would of prob been my first if they didnt take the side case off and unplug the fans. Thanks for the help now i am off to look for a new power supply for them. Any reccommendations?

edit: dont wanna spend more then $60ish thanks.

Depends what they have inside if it is just the run of the mill nothing outrageous then any power supply will do really of course a brand name is always better I would look at enermax or antec both are very good.

alright i wasnt to sure on a brand so thanks for the help. Will let u know what is order. Thanks :)

i know a few people with this PSU: click they say its a good one. (Antec Solution Series SL400 - 400W - 6 Output connectors)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back