Motherboard & CPU

N

Not Bman

My next upgrade is for the motherboard & cpu.

Now right now I have the Nvidia Chipset Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.41GHz.

I was reading and liking the idea of the Intel Quad core cpus.

If I were to go with one of those which would be the best motherboard for that and would my 8800GT still work with it?

All new boards work with the pci express card there is nothing after that yet, any one you want works, I say go for ASUS boards ... Nvidia chipsets ...

does the intel quad core work with those motherboards?

Think you should wait a bit longer if you're not desparate for a new PC. I wondering how the AMD Quad core will fare with the Intel ones since the AMD is true Quad core CPUs rather than 2 x dual Core dies.
Mind you, in saying that I think I'd probably go for Intel anyway as their most recent processors outperform the X2.

Also Penryn will hit the desktops from Intel sometime in Q1 of 2008. They already have some high end ones, but more cost effective models are coming soon :)

Newegg lets you sort MB's by which CPU is supported, including quads. But if the CPUs are not generally available yet I'd hold back. Compatibility issues don't always show up right away. Case in point the new MAD quad core server chips have a bug.

The AMD quad core tests at Tom's did not go to well. They tried around 8 MB's with a quad core sample and only 2 worked and only after the latest bios was flashed. So the "quad core works with AM2" claim is questionable. Also, seperate test results showed a slight per core improvement over the Athlon X2 in the quad core CPU but nothing really impressive like the P4 to Core 2 die change.

Intel still seems to be top dog for toop end systems. If you want cheap mid-high range AMD might be a better price performance trade.

That would fit/work with my current motherboard?

I kinda want a new motherboard anyways sine one of my PCI-E slots are dead.

Think you should wait a bit longer if you're not desparate for a new PC. I wondering how the AMD Quad core will fare with the Intel ones since the AMD is true Quad core CPUs rather than 2 x dual Core dies.
Mind you, in saying that I think I'd probably go for Intel anyway as their most recent processors outperform the X2.

When will this be, and I thought AMD already has quad core out there?

What is the cheapest Quad Core cpu at 3.0GHz right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
When will this be, and I thought AMD already has quad core out there?

What is the cheapest Quad Core cpu at 3.0GHz right now?

They probably already have it out there but there's not a lot going on in terms of performance testing, well I haven't heard or seen anything yet.

Also, seperate test results showed a slight per core improvement over the Athlon X2 in the quad core CPU but nothing really impressive like the P4 to Core 2 die change.

er...
Athlon X2 -> Quad core is just 1 generation gap, compared to P4 -> Core 2 which is 2 or 3 generation gaps so there WILL be a impressive change.

True ... I say look in your pockets and buy what you feel you can afford, the C2D are impressive there is no doubts, do we need 4 cpu's ? Will we really use them ? Will there be real world differences in the daily applications we run? I think the short answer is no ... so why not save a few bucks and grap a dual core ... its not like the cpu will not be fast enough to run anything you can throw at it.

Well I already have a 2.4GHz Dual Core, if I wanted to up my performance and pretty much anything I can, and be worth it right now what would I be looking for?

Is there my cpu in a 3.0GHz version? I think there is only a 2.66, or recommend a dual core cpu over 3.0GHz?

Well I already have a 2.4GHz Dual Core, if I wanted to up my performance and pretty much anything I can, and be worth it right now what would I be looking for?

Is there my cpu in a 3.0GHz version? I think there is only a 2.66, or recommend a dual core cpu over 3.0GHz?

If you got money to burn, can I have your current system? lol :p
Seriously though, like Shamus mentioned, do you REALLY need to upgrade to 4 cores? To me, I've not really noticed stuff whizzing around and getting completed in half the time of a single core cpu. Heck, I'd even question whether dual core actually does complete tasks 25% faster. :)

amd 64 x2 i have here is faster than the ht p4 i got

The 6400+ runs at 3.2 Mhz.

Thanks, and the not getting Quad Core yet does make sense and I am going to wait but I would like a little bit more kick out my CPU which the 6400+ looks like its what I am looking for.

Time to look for deals!!

Now how about a nice new motherboard to fit that 6400+?

*edit looks like my motherboard I have now is good for that CPU, but my one PCI-E slot is dead, I want a new one lol

well... quad core cpus are gonna be useful for games coming in late 2008 and 2009, alan wake is the proof of that

also, a lot of cpu-intensive software use as many cores as possible (like (de)compressors, f@h, etc)

multitasking should also be improved by a larger number of cores

I would not buy a cpu with 2009 in mind ... thats 2 years ... a lifetime in this game.

Well now I don't know, probably getting the 3.2Ghz dual core one since I don't have much more money to spend on the Quad Core ones.

And I just looked up my motherboard right now and it's still 230 - 300 which I find surprising. I thought it was cheaper then that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best bang-for-your-buck Intel quad-core is the 2.40 GHz Q6600 that I'm currently using, which goes for around USD $275 at NewEgg. The next higher C2Q is the 2.66 GHz CPU, but that one will set you back $540. Beyond that, there's only the "Extremes," which all seem to run $1000+, which I think is excessive, personally.

Yes, there's lots of Asus motherboards that support these CPUs, so you'll have plenty to choose from. Personally, I'd go for a board that supports DDR2 over DDR3, if only because DDR2 is so cheap right now, while DDR3 is expensive with no noticeable performance increases currently to justify the cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back