Moscow Hostage Crisis

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
Take a moment to think about the people that died in the resolution of the hostage crisis in Moscow a couple of days ago.

Personally I'd like to say that I thought it was a very brave but hard decision made by the Russian authorities in using gas to disable the terrorists. Many people may have died directly as a result of this but the the alternatives do not bear thinking about.

I wonder how this would have been handled in the West?

The message it sends to other terrorist factions is clear: Do not mess with us. In the end this is what may save the most lives.

Mubbers

Mubbers, I am not sure. I was watching the whole thing on Russian TV live as it happened; it was a hard desision indeed. Russian hospitals were poorly prepared. Some of the victims were shown laying on blankets on the floor, beacuse of the lack of beds. Some people were almost perfectly fine, because they used something to cover their mouth and nose. None of the comatose symptoms were showing. Others, it was some what horrifying.

There was a young man, 14 or 15 or so, wheezing, and breathing through an air mask thing, and his eyes were rolled up into his head, and they said, he was dying.

Supposedly the terrorists killed only 5 people or so, the special forces team was very skilled, and many terrorists were killed right where they were sitting. The gas however, while it stopped the terrorists from detonating the whole building, killed many.
You could say it's better for 100 to die, then 700, but still, each person's life is priceless, and every death is utter devastation to someone.

Well said Nick - in agreement. For sure it was/is a very sad event.

We certainly live in very unsettled times, wherever you are.

Mubbers

Russia still won't say what sort of gas it used. America thinks it was some sort of opiate related to morphine. Not deadly unless too much is used. :rolleyes: Also heard it might be a gas that was suppose to be destroyed back in 1993.

When I first heard about it I though wow way to go. Kick ass. Then you hear that the vast majotity were killed by the gas not the rebels. Definately not the way to handle this sort of situation.

I heard that the gas used was a substance introuduced by the Americans in Vietnam, used once, then never again. Not banned, but not widely avaliable, and not exactly welcomed by the millitary. Kind of like a dark corner gas. Not really heard of, and almost never used, but still there.

No. Its a new gas, and Russia refuses to tell the hospitals what kind of gas it is because they fear others will use it. the CIA is trying to find out what it is. But then there are 20 russians in critical condition and may die if the doctors don't find out what gas it is.

Posted by Hipster Doofus

When I first heard about it I though wow way to go. Kick ass. Then you hear that the vast majotity were killed by the gas not the rebels. Definately not the way to handle this sort of situation.

Well that's just it. I had the same feelings when I first heard about it. Then you hear more and you change your mind.

In the end consider what could have happened if the Terrorists had the chance to set off explosives, what would the casualty count have been?

I just hope that everybody in this world can get their collective acts together and do a bit more talking.

Grendel

Bahhh, its all bull**** anyway...
But the damn russian TV showed the frickin' bodies of the dead terrorist all ****ed up by the nerve gas, lying on the floor like they are beef... wasn't nice.

' But the damn russian TV showed the frickin' bodies of the dead terrorist all ****ed up by the nerve gas, lying on the floor like they are beef... wasn't nice. '

They actually showed somewhat more then that...some hospital footage was VERY disturbing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back