Morpheus does NOT charge for membership

Reg

eXperienced!
I'm starting to wonder about the validity of some of the stuff you post here. First the incedent about the false report of the security hole, now this. Regardless of what you may have read in the tabloids, Morpheus did NOT lock out users. Nor are they going to charge a subscription. Here is what's really going on:

Morpheus, Kazaa, and Grokster operate using a closed protocol proprietary system called FastTrack. This software requires the company to purchase licenses for the software. Theoretically, if one end of the system goes down (Morpheus, Kazaa, or Grokster), the system would still be able to operate via the other systems. However, do to protocol changes which took place when the primary FastTrack core was updated, the Morpheus client (which, by the way may look similar to Kazaa and Grokster, is actually coded differently) was unable to connect. Thus, the Morpheus 2.0 client which was scheduled for a later release is expected to be released sometime in the weekend.

As for the charging users, this is completely false. I spent about an hour in the Morpheus chatroom talking to various people and all confirmed that the repot is FALSE.

Now, the new Morpheus client will be apart of the Gnutella network, rather than FastTrack. The reason is because of the issues expressed by Morpheus users, along with the incedents of the upgrades. Because Morpheus, as stated earlier, was modified to be different than the original software, any updates like the ones recently would potentially require a new client. This would be a big burdon on Music City. By switching, it also allows for Morpheus to operate via an open protocol. Similar to openNap, which Music City was based off of before Morpheus, the open protocol will allow users to operate over a much larger system. However, I hope they've done their homework. If they do it right, the new Morpheus will be better than ever.

Yeah it won't charge

the link on the front page is to a subscription service that gets data from fasttrack, gnutella, and some other one. Its actually another company.

Well if they do charge thats more free space for my hard drive w00t and if the new morpheus is better than ever then i'll have fun filling up my 1 Terrabyte...

If they charge, then all that does is open the door for a new peer to peer. Napster was free, then they went down. Then Morph .. etc... are up. If they charge they will go down and a new one will take its place !!!!!

Nope. No charge in site. I seriously doubt that they would ever charge, especially since they are moving to Gnutella. There about 50 P2P services that use that particular network. Thus, charging would be next to stupid.

PS... Hey CiRe, can I have just a quarter of that Terabyte?

HeHeH- If you were willing to pay.... :D

Although I really need to start filling up all this empty space...

Preview Edition 1.3.3.1 is here ?!?

I just downloaded the new "Preview Edition" of the new Morpheus software. I also found an interesting article explaining the whole reason for the change in software. After about 10 minutes of reading, I was able to get the new Morpheus to work. HOWEVER, all I can say is... Good move to the new network (wayyyyy more content)... BAD move in clients :( This new client by far sucks!!! I can understand that it was rushed, but damn! Be warned, this software is very very buggy. It's missing a lot of features (some of the common features you would find in software like Limewire and others). Some functions don't even work. But, the software has a lot of potential, and by the time 2.0 does release, it should be great.

I want to amplify Reg's comments about what gets posted on the "news" page of this site.

Even one of the quotes, taken from a site that is clearly a different company, says "fee is CURRENTLY $14.95... will increase... etc.", in an attempt to prove Morpheus is "NOW charging users." It's just blatant misinformation.

Considering also the false security hole report... perhaps Waddy or his friends have been burned trying to sell some shareware?

Whatever the case may be, this sort of thing undermines the credibility of the XP-erience site as a whole. And considering the site contains numerous tips on making potentially system-fatal changes to critical files like the registry etc., the site's admins might want to start taking their credibility more seriously.

Morpheus + Gnutella = Suckass in my opinion. Gnutella has been proven to scale horribly and not be as fast as the fasttrack protocol. if everyone who was using morpheus that now jumped to kazaa...suddenled jumped back to the new morpheus all your gonna notice is there are WAY more files...but slower times getting them and waiting forever at times for downloads to start

just my 2 cents

oh PLEASE

Originally posted by goodbye98SE
I want to amplify Reg's comments about what gets posted on the "news" page of this site.

Even one of the quotes, taken from a site that is clearly a different company, says "fee is CURRENTLY $14.95... will increase... etc.", in an attempt to prove Morpheus is "NOW charging users." It's just blatant misinformation.

Considering also the false security hole report... perhaps Waddy or his friends have been burned trying to sell some shareware?

Whatever the case may be, this sort of thing undermines the credibility of the XP-erience site as a whole. And considering the site contains numerous tips on making potentially system-fatal changes to critical files like the registry etc., the site's admins might want to start taking their credibility more seriously.

RELAX, will you? you've been here what, an hour? It's a news site, a news site that posts articles from its members. Do you know how many times Slashdot gets burned on a weekly basis? This is two articles out of thousands, it is certainly not a sign that the top brass have been drinking on the job (well, actually...).

Yeah, this should have never been posted, and really doesn't look like it was verified very well. But don't compare it to the Morpheus security hole fiasco -- I think every news organisation in the free world jumped on that one.

LISTEN UP EVERYONE

Alright, i would like to explain to everyone that did not fully read the article about the loophole................The article about the false loophole (http://www.xp-erience.org/article.php?sid=964) was quoted directly from the BBC NEWS website, Lightwave posted that article, and I posted a follow-up (http://www.xp-erience.org/article.php?sid=984), which appeared to be legit, but was later found to be false, and at that time Morpheus Staff was not returning my emails, nor did they return any call from the BBC......yes, later on (after that news was posted) the post from the supposed morpheus employee was proved to be a hoax, and i submitted a retraction, that for one reason or another did not get posted, but i was not contacted by morpheus until almost a week after the BBC had made the report........now to defend waddy and this site, alot of the news that is posted on the front page is submitted by users (i.e. HUMANS) and is therefore susceptible to human error. You don't believe everything you see on TV, do you????? No, i don't think so. So please, always use your own sense when reading ANYTHING you find in the news, whether it be on TV, Radio, or HERE. Check up on the stories, and if you find something is false, the VERY BEST thing you can do is submit a report to waddy instead of just bitching about it in the forums................

Amen! to that Brother

AND, i am very impressed that you used the word "susceptible"; but not only that, you spelled it correctly! I am not making fun, either, you just don't see that kind of vocabulary in these forums very often.

anyway, I wanted to let everyone know, who may not already, eDonkey kicks ass, so don't worry about Morpheus. Grab eDonkey and the eDonkeyBot and get downloading! I got a whole movie in about 6 or seven hours, which I never experienced with Morpheus.

Thats true guys.

This is an XP site by XP users for XP users (sure I heard that somewhere).

As well as finding news ourselves we rely on people to submit articles which they find interesting relating to XP.

Fair enough you have pointed this error out to us and we thank you for that, but there is no need to call us liars :D

Oh and the BBC is more like the broadsheet of british journalism ;)

Toric19 very well said !

If they look at the source of the article it is from BBC news , these guys didnt just make it up ...LOL

www.bbc.com

If their source is wrong , who cares :) they can only post what they see :p

Notice all the ones complaining = their first post and contribution to the site

Not True

Notice all the ones complaining = their first post and contribution to the site

Not true. I've actually been a member here since September and have contributed to XP-erience when they had the comment system on the main page. I used to visit the forums until they had the crash and required everyone to recreate accounts. Since then, I never visited the boards (mainly because of the comment system). However, the comment system was removed about a month ago and most of the articles do not have "Dicuss This Article" links on them. Thus, when I said that I questioned some of the validity of some of the articles posted, I meant over the various months of reading here everyday and not just from one post. While most of the news posted here seems to be accurate, there are the occasional few that seem to be incorrect.

The reason for me posting the correction in the first place is because when Morpheus went down, I did a lot of research as to find out why. I came across an article (can't remember the URL right now, I'll post once I find it) that was submitted by one of the developers regarding the incedent. After reading it (along with a post from the CEO which I found actually by accident), I came to the conclusion that Morpheus did not lock users out. Instead, it was Sharman who locked Morpheus out. The actual reason is too long to explain. If you want, email me and I'll send you the info.

Don't mean to sort of attack you Max, but just because I don't post in the forums doesn't mean that I don't visit here often or contribute to the site. I just wanted clear up a lot of the misconceptions about the software and the company.

Oh, one other thing, I talked to a few support people. The Morpheus Preview Edition (1.3.3.1) will be replaced in a few weeks with the new Mopheus 2.0. The preview edition is in fact, a preview. They are looking for comments and suggestions for the 2.0 version, so you can send them your comments. You don't have to tell them about all the bugs, I handled that for ya :).

If you look at the frontpage you will see that Morpheus was actualyl hacked, tho I don't blame them for trying to cover it up.

The comments system was removed, to remove the need to logon to the site - it will eventually be fully integrated into the forums.

It also stops the slightly eliteist "Well, I would have done it like..." and "XXX are completely stupid" quotes which were beginning to rapidly appear on a few of the articles which were posted :)

Most of the comments were sensible to the most part however :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back