More right click menu problems

lynchknot

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello, to go along with my inability to choose programs with "open with" menu, I do not have the ability to extract rar files as well. Clicking on it does nothing. Does anyone have a solution? thnks. (I tried reinstalling winrar but did not help)

rar.JPG

Seems something is getting corruted somewhere. I see you have a bit of extra stuff associated with the right click. Maybe one of those is causing the problem. Depends when all this started to happen. If you have the time & patience you could remove them, see if 'open with' works. If so reinstall one at a time.

Hello and thanks for helping. "Open with works with some files but not most. I have had the right click menu items for a long time - it just reciently stopped working. Winzip in the menu is working though.

Something to try......maybe. Empty out all your 'open with' extentions. That might give it a kick to start working properly again. Backup first.

Get rid of "Open With" Items in Right-Click

When right clicking any file you're likely to see an option called "open with", which lists any available program on you computer to open the file with. To simply clear up this list of unwanted items, or to remove useless associations, like opening an mp3 file with a paint program, follow these steps:

- Start Regedit
- Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

Find the extension you wish to edit and click on the "+"-sign to locate the key that says "OpenWithList"

In the right pane of the registry editor you'll see a list with the programs in the list, like "paint.exe" or "notepad.exe"
Simply click on the one you wish to delete and press the delete button on your keyboard

Don't worry if you've removed an entry you rather hadn't removed. When right clicking a file there will be another option in the "open with" extension where you can choose any program on your computer. Once used, it will reappear in the list of associated programs.

I don't have any "open with" selections as it is - no list except for the couple files that it is working for. I click the word Open with and nothing happens - no dialag, nothing...

For instance I want to choose what I want to open an AVI with so I click "open with" and nothing happens - even though there are several apps listed in the reg for opening AVI.

Save this as a .reg file in notepad then merge it into the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Open with any program
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\openas]
@="Open with..."
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell\openas\command]
@="rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL \"%1\""

It should help.

While you're at it, check out this registry file. It has a lot of useful tweaks.

Thanks HandyBuddy, I merged it, rebooted but nothing has changed. Open with and winrar do not work.

When did the problem begin?

Did you do anything at the time this problem started? ie... install something new, delete something, move something, uninstall a proggy, etc...

Have you tried a restore point a day or two before you noticed the problem to see if this rectifies it?

I think in the last few days. System restore did not work. I am able to click a zip file and use winrar to unzip them through right click but I can't do the same with rar or jar files.

Out of curiosity, how did you get that "open with > " selection?
It looks like it creates a drop down menu? Mine looks like "open with..." and pops open the file selection window

Originally posted by Leedogg
It looks like it creates a drop down menu? Mine looks like "open with..." and pops open the file selection window

Ditto :confused:

Originally posted by Leedogg
Possibly because there is no association with the file. Once associated with something you should get what the screenshot shows. Possibly.

I'm finding that some files, like zip, there is a selection to chose from. Most files look like this and upon clicking Open with, nothing happens.

openy.JPG

And this is the zip file which is one of only a few that are working:

zip5.JPG

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Possibly because there is no association with the file. Once associated with something you should get what the screenshot shows. Possibly.

I think you're right. I made up a file extension and it doesn't respond like a .jpg or a .mpg

Try making this a reg file and merging it. This is all my Winrar stuff from my registry.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR]
@="WinRAR archive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.REV]
@="RAR recovery volume"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.REV\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.REV\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.REV\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.REV\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP]
@="WinRAR ZIP archive"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WinRAR.ZIP\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{B41DB860-8EE4-11D2-9906-E49FADC173CA}]
@=""

Thanks HB, I merged the file and rebooted. While i am able to right click and make a rar file, I am still unable to unzip using the same method and "open with" is still inoperable with most files. :(

I'm a little bit stumped here. What is amazing is the fact that you don't have a open entry in any of these context menus.

What I would try first is to go into the registry and delete the HKEY_CLASSES\ROOT\*\Shell key. It isn't there by default.

run cmd sfc /scannow

but reading its description, It may not help you. It scans and restores all protected system files (shell32.dll and uxtheme.dll will be restored for example)

if you want to give it a shot go ahead...

the thing I was thinking of is actually a windows repair....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back