monitor/video prob, plz hlp

D

DeepBlade

hi, this is my first time asking for help, so please help...?
just today, when i got home and got on my computer, got off the black screen screen saver, i noticed that something's wrong with my display....

my problem is hard to describe and i don't know what to do.
every darker part on the screen is horozontally smeared across the monitor.... and it doesn't stay that way, so it can't be because of no screen saver burns. like this black text, it somewat smeared horozontally across the screen, so that beside the text, it's just a greyish rectangle.... not just text, just anything dark... and normally, on IRC, a certain green is it's normal colour, but it's brighter than usual.

would this most likely be hardware video problem? im using xp pro, with detinator drivers... but rolled back drivers but it's still the same problem. I have an Nvidia Vanta LT.

Any feedback would be helpful, thx

Mmmh, sorry I can't help, but I have a problem that's very similar, so I thought I'd join in.

Here it is, pasted from a different forum :

My girlfriend is having this problem with her laptop and I thought I'd ask here before going back to the shop (it's in a different city, rather far from here...).
She has a ASUS A1000 laptop
Pentium III, 600 MHz
Screen : 13.3" active TFT matrix, XGA 1024x768, 64K colors max.

-I can't find the monitor drivers specification... It is "unknown" in the device manager. The company's websites says (translated from french) : "Integrated graphic circuit"
at http://france.asus.com/notebook/a1000/specification.htm

She's running the original ME that came with the comp. Never updated it, or the drivers.

Now here's the problem :
Every now and then (rather often actually) all the black areas of her screen start showing red. Not a nice unified red, but like splashes of discoloration.
It doesn't appear to happen at precise times, nor all the time.

I checked and there are no driver conflicts that show.

If you know this problem please tell us something about it as we're clueless.
Also, if there are specific info you'd need to help us, please say which, and I'll try to find it.

Finally, maybe you know of a more appropriate forum for this (I'll be searching for one myself). If you do, please send a link.

Thanks greatly in advance for any help. <http://www.TweakXP.com/idealbb/images/smilies/6.gif>

hm....!!! actually, there was a magnet beside my monitor...!!! it's a stone magnet, the strong types, not like refrigerator magnets. I removed it, but i still have those lines running through my monitor... and yes, i have a degauss function on my monitor. I can't show u guys a pic, i already tried it, it looks correct in the picture (viewed it from another computer) but even the picture causes those lines to appear on MY computer.

.....i've removed the magnet for about 3 minutes now... and i still have the lines... and i degaussed twice....

damn..! i'm gonna hafta get a new video card! good thing or bad thing...?

On your monitor. (on the front somewhere) you will have buttons or knobs to adjust your monitor settings. You may have a Degauss option. A good description is here

:eek: ...so is it really a video card problem or monitor problem?

Do you have, or can you borrow a different monitor and plug it into your box just to make sure?

Monitor smearing...

Well, If you are using an MPEG, TV or Voodoo card that requires to connect your video card to the MPEG, TV or VooDoo card en then to the monitor, instead of connecting your video card directly to the monitor...

Try to connect your monitor on your Video Card with one, not to long cable...

That should fix it, maybee...

heres somthing to try

WARNING THIS MAY CAUSE UNREPAIRABLE DAMMAGE
on more time for the slow kids
WARNING THIS MAY CAUSE UNREPAIRABLE DAMMAGE

you can try waving the magnet from right to left to try and get it back to normal

or you can sit the magnet on the other side for the same amount of time the same distance away

neither one is recomended but I have fixed old tvs this way

one more time for the above fix
WARNING THIS MAY CAUSE UNREPAIRABLE DAMMAGE^^^^

I would defintly have to say its the monitor too check it by plugging in your other puters monitor and vice versa if the bluring switches to the other computer then you know its the monitor.
and of course keep the magnets away from now on!

Folci

wat??? noooo...!!! i thought i was video card problem this whole time...

damnit... this is a 17' monitor too...
and the magnet was... about 2 cm away from the boarder of the monitor, not the actual screen

so you're saying i could 'possibly' fix it by having the monitor on the other side, for the right ammount of time?

it's not the monitor's problem!!!

hey guys, i just found out it's not a monitor problem
it's my video card's problem.....

the thing that bothers me is that i still don't know what happened...

i had to dig up this thread, and hopefully u guys can have something to say about it....

well for some odd reason, yes, that's the thing that's bothering me, my monitor's 100% fine, i was going to take it back for repair under factory's warranty. It was my video card:

Nvidia Vanta LT 8 MB AGP

the thing is... the video card i'm (hoping temporarily) using for this computer is a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI... damn i got no PCI slots left and the AGP slot is not being used. I'm hoping to buy a better card soon.... one with tv out so i can watch my DivX movies and... play some games on big .er.... bigger screen

Yes, it's true i had a magnet very close to the monitor for a whole night and half a day..... but... i really duno..... my monitor's working fine now with the voodoo 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back