Monitor standby

ggallin

OSNN Newbie
Is there a way to make my monitor go to standby state manually? I was thinking that maybe there's some command I could Run, for example.

I usually hit the power button
cant get more manual than that

:p

Is there any difference between normal power off and standby; maybe standby strains the monitor less?

Reason for my questioning is that lately I've been starting to hear a high buzzing sound after powering on my monitor. It goes away after a few minutes. It's a brand new monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 959NF) so I was wondering if there could be something wrong with it.

But when the monitor goes to standby state and out of it, this buzzing sound doesn't occur.. that's why I'd like a manual standby :)

I am not sure as I am not a expert in this area. Just wonder if that buzzing could possibly be the auto degaussing function working when you turn it on -versus the auto degaussing does not function when you come out of standby!

damnyank said:
I am not sure as I am not a expert in this area. Just wonder if that buzzing could possibly be the auto degaussing function working when you turn it on -versus the auto degaussing does not function when you come out of standby!
Okay, so this could possibly mean that the usual power off/on would strain the monitor more than the standby function, becuase of degauss. I read from a Viewsonic manual that the manual degauss (accessible from the monitor's menu) shouldn't be used too often and could damage the monitor - that's another brand but I guess the same principle goes for this Samsung model.

If memory serves me correctly, the auto degauss is for a shorter period of time and less intensity(perhaps less strong magentic field would be a better choice of words) than the manual would be! It may also take a few auto degausses to get it totally degaussed because it is "gentlier on the CRT". But the principle is the same - a CRT is CRT!

wizmo

You might try http://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm, it can turn off all of your monitors (E.g. wizmo monoff) or just black them out (e.g. wizmo blackout).

Dan Brunson

EDIT: You need to have monitors that support windows advanced power management (APM).

right click desktop
properties
screen saver
power
turn off monitor

Some info on monitors...

I've been told that repeatedly turning off your monitor can reduce the lifespan of your monitor.

I only turn it off once a day and that's when I go to bed. As an alternative you could go into screensavers choose blank screensaver and choose preview.

You can set the monitor to turn off after a certain period of time. Minimum 1 minute, but my comp didnt' like this for some reason. monitor would just turn off and on again right away. *shrugs*

As for that noise your comp is emitting, try increasing your refresh rate. Try to find out what the recommended is from your manufacturer and change it to those settings.

Control Panel>Display Properties>settings> Monitor>Screen refersh rate.

Let Windows Hide fields you can't support, and then choose highest for your resolution.

Mine is set to 1024x768 at a refresh rate of 85.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back