Monitor Specs

1920x1200 is the 16:10 ratio resolution. 1920x1080 i believe is the 16:9 ratio that's usually seen in movies and such.

And i don't really see the point of getting a larger monitor in the same resolution. If you ask me.... either 24" for the 1920x1200, or 30" for the 2560x1600. anything in between is... just odd. Kinda cramming the same amount of pixels into an extra 3" of monitor space. If you want a large display for 1920x1200... why not look for a slightly smaller HDTV rather than a monitor?

1920 x 1080 is a 16:9 aspect ratio. Widescreen. It's HDTV resolution.

1920 x 1200 is a 16:10 aspect ratio. Again, widescreen. 24" or larger monitors tend to use this resolution rather than 1920 x 1080.

Actually 16:9 isn't used in movies very often - most films are even narrower than that, which is why you still get thin black bars top and bottom in a lot of films.

Most TV stuff is now recorded in 16:9.

well, technically movies are not RECORDED in 16:9. but they're then letterboxed, and whever you look at the video details, it'll either say 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 fullscreen.

Basically.... don't think you'll see a movie that will be displayed in anything over 16:9 for a LONG time, if ever. it just... works. Unless we get some rather HUGE displays... like you see in futuristic movies, but i don't see that happening in our lifetime.

why? when this one can be had for half the price.

Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 28" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254026

Wow that looks like a great price, though never hear of that company. Any one have thoughts on them?

And alright I understand that, so I am going to get and might as well go with something with 1920x1200. I was just hoping to watch my movies on my monitor and showing no bars, not really a problem but ya know. And why get a monitor, i like monitors better then TVs, they work better with computers.

Wow that looks like a great price, though never hear of that company. Any one have thoughts on them?

And alright I understand that, so I am going to get and might as well go with something with 1920x1200. I was just hoping to watch my movies on my monitor and showing no bars, not really a problem but ya know. And why get a monitor, i like monitors better then TVs, they work better with computers.

You already have your LG GGC-H20L so you can watch hi-def stuff. You want a monitor that is 24" or greater with at least 1920 x 1080 resolution. A monitor with 1920 x 1200 or greater is perfect. You will be able to watch your hi-def content in its full resolution.

As for the Hanns·G monitor suggested, I'm not a fan of the contrast ratio (800:1). NewEgg isn't showing the dynamic contrast ratio. Nice price, though.

That Dell you are looking at looks nice. Had I the money to upgrade my monitor right now I'd likely go with another Samsung.

I would love to go with another Samsung, but I cant find any resolution that I want less then 30, and that one is too expensive.

aah... forgot... Newegg doesn't ship to Canada, do they? might be limiting options a tad... although i don't know what retailers or e-tailers that ship to canada tend to have.

And yeah... you won't find a TV or monitor that will display movies without the letterbox bars. Unless you watch a lot of movies that have a Full Screen option... but there's no fun in that.

if you can find this anywhere in canada its awesome :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-026-OK

Digimate L2442WD.

1000:1, 180degree viewing angle from sides and top/bottom and half the price of any of the big-brand monitors in the UK atleast.

It is short on features though and doesn't do 1:1 - everything is stretched to fit but I don't have any issues with the one I'm staring at to type this :)

if you can find this anywhere in canada its awesome :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-026-OK

Digimate L2442WD.

1000:1, 180degree viewing angle from sides and top/bottom and half the price of any of the big-brand monitors in the UK atleast.

It is short on features though and doesn't do 1:1 - everything is stretched to fit but I don't have any issues with the one I'm staring at to type this :)

Nice, but I should of added, I want something larger then 24"

LA: he's looking for something bigger than 24", but smaller than 30". Still.... doesn't make sense to pay all that much more for 3" of the same amount of pixel space.

I have the Gateway FHD2400 and I love it. I was going to post the link to newegg where I got mine, but they don't have it anymore. I am pretty sure you can still get it from Gateway.

emeritus: i have the same monitor, and also love it. Also have the Gateway FPD2185W..... which i'm really thinking about hooking back up as a secondary monitor.

well, technically movies are not RECORDED in 16:9. but they're then letterboxed, and whever you look at the video details, it'll either say 16:9 widescreen or 4:3 fullscreen.

That's not quite true either, most movies state 2.35:1 on the video details.

well.... that'd wind up coming out to like 21.15:9... which would be wider. And i guess by "video details", i should have said look at movies where you can select, before playing the movie, whether you want widescreen or fullscreen. Some of those even tell you the ratio, being either 16:9 or 4:3.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back