Monitor Refresh Rate (Hertz)

S

striko_514

Hey, I'll like to ask a question. I have a 75 hertz monitor. If I understand well, 75 hertz is the monitor refresh rate, right? If not correct me. I'll like to know if is better to put the refresh rate at high or low. Is there a big difference between 60hertz and 85hertz? Is better for eyes at high rate or low rate? Are high rate slow down the display time?
thx you in advance

75hz is supposed to be flicker free... if you can set it to 75hz at a certain resolution... please do so...(read recommended specs for your monitor)

lower than 75 causes eye fatigue more rapidly...

I really noticed the difference in eye strain after I got a monitor that supported higher refresh rates. My old monitor only would support up to 55 hertz while my new(er) one supports 85 hertz. I find I can use the comp for much longer periods of time before my eyes start to hurt.

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
It seems that the higher the refresh rate, the slower the 2D performance.

I remember hearing about anything over 85Hz starts to affect the PC performance. I've also heard 75Hz is flicker free, but 85Hz is the perfect balance (the recommended resolution for each monitor tends to have a max refresh rate of 85Hz, so it must be the perfect balance).

I've also used a PC with the screen running 100Hz refresh rate and my eyes were burning after about 10mins of usage, whereas when I use my own system (or any other at 85Hz), I can use them for hours

Originally posted by jonifen
I've also used a PC with the screen running 100Hz refresh rate and my eyes were burning after about 10mins of usage, whereas when I use my own system (or any other at 85Hz), I can use them for hours
Strange... The higher the better for the eyes. 60Hz though... Instant headache!

100hz gave someone a headache? sounds like a problem with the brightness/contrast, if you ask me.

i notice the difference between 75 and 85hz. 60 is simply unusable for me, even while gaming. i always have the refresh rate on it's highest possible setting.

i'm going to look into the refresh rate/performance thing, though.

I've got a 17" TVM Monitor and a GF4 TI4600 using the 41.09 detonator drivers, but are unable to change the refresh rate from 60Hz! I've been using 60Hz for years and it wasn't until recently that I noticed the difference between 60Hz and 85Hz that I released how much better a 85Hz is. Anyone have any ideas why I am unable to change to 85Hz? I'm using the XP Plug and Play driver.

Thanks

Dan

low refresh rate causes eye strain and headaches = alot of people in offices and such are not aware and go home fatigued and a headache. but to high refresh rate for your hardware will cause decresed life and possible hardware destruction. so when changing the refresh rate mke sure to check the box
"Hide refresh rates this monitor cant display" then you cant go wrong:)

As mentioned, 100Hz is flicker free.
You can use whatever fancy video card software you want to support up to 160hz or more, but 99% of monitors are not happy with more that 75-80 hz so experimental increasing will shorten their useful life.

You need to be careful with setting your refresh rate too high. Make sure you know what frequency your monitor can handle before you bump your frequency up. I've seen some monitors fry from having their refresh rate set too high.

Many years ago VESA set 72 as the standard/minimum, to avoid eye strain. Odd how MS would completely ignore this and set XP's default to 60. Shows how little they really care about their customers. Note that the size of your monitor is also taken into consideration when setting refresh rates. While 72 - 75 works fine for a 15 - 17 in monitor, you would want to be at 85 minimum for a 19 in.

With XP, SP1 allows you to override their default setting for D3D. But if you play any OpenGL games you will need a utility to correct this.

Compatability is more MS's issue.

It is not unlikely for a monitor to have a low resolution and have a low refresh rate. Not all people have an average monitor. Some have sub-standard.

Imagine they made 72 the default from boot. The people with substandard would be screwed wouldn't they.

Yep... Lets all blame microsoft

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back